Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Painting Fiberglass

7 posts in this topic

Posted

When you guys have the fiberglass wing tips do you spray them under with poly-spray to act as a primer for your topcoat , Or mask them off and prime them with something else before final painting.

Posted

I have yet to do it,  but some people shoot a coat of epoxy on, and just as the epoxy is getting tacky, they shoot a coat of poly tone onto the epoxy paint.  Poly fiber makes enamel paints in colors that match their poly tone colors, and that is what they recommend  (of course, they want to sell more paint)  They do mention the epoxy method in their manual but say some times it works and some times it doesn't.  (they  aren't recommending it, but then again,  they sell paint)  I actually used latex paint on my Avid fiberglass and aluminum.  Had it mixed to match.  Not sure I recommend that either.  It was kind of soft and scratched easy and wasn't stuck on real good.  I plan on doing the epoxy and poly tone next time around.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I have never painted fiberglass with Poly products - Just sprayed on a primer and enamel paint, same as painting aluminum.  Painted some Cessna parts with urethane while in Avschool.

I wonder what Joey is going to paint his cowl with?  Guess he could use rattle-cans...

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Kragens baby!!

image.jpeg

Posted

I shot mine with epoxy primer then shot polytone on top.  No issues with it and it's lived outside in the Alaskan weather since 09.

Posted

I shot mine with epoxy primer then shot polytone on top.  No issues with it and it's lived outside in the Alaskan weather since 09.

x2

Posted

I permanently installed the fiberglass tips before covering the wings then covered the wing tips with fabric when I covered the wings.  But,  I have used poly spray on the fiberglass cowl as a sandable primer then poly tone over the poly spray.  I did the same on the RANs S6S cowl and wheel pants.  The color and texture then comes out exactly the same as the fabric covered portions of the plane.  It is also easily repairable should that be necessary. It has held up very well for quite some time.  I always have a little material left over so I did not have to buy a different type of paint and try to match stuff up. It was easy and that was a big plus for me.

MarkD

1 person likes this