Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Strobe light wire

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Im looking to place another order from spruce. What are you guys using for wire to power up you led wing tip strobes and Nav lights. I will not be switching them separately so no need for a 3 or a 4 wire. Or where else are you guys buying wire

Posted (edited)

Im looking to place another order from spruce. What are you guys using for wire to power up you led wing tip strobes and Nav lights. I will not be switching them separately so no need for a 3 or a 4 wire. Or where else are you guys buying wire

Waiting to hear from someone who knows more - But, I would think that you would not need the expensive shielded wire for LED strobes / Nav lights, like Whelen requires, expecially if you use the bulbs that Akflyer got from Spruce that don't need a controller.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

LEDs are electronically noisy.  The high voltage leads for strobes are even more noisy.

Shielded wire is advisable for anything passing near the radios, PTT leads, antenna leads, or headset leads.

Posted (edited)

LEDs are electronically noisy.  The high voltage leads for strobes are even more noisy.

Shielded wire is advisable for anything passing near the radios, PTT leads, antenna leads, or headset leads.

I didn't know that LED bulbs were noisy, Larry - Leni put the LED strobe bulbs in his nav lights, and they probably don't have shielded wiring - Like to hear from him about noise from them.  There shouldn't be high-voltage for 12 volt .3 amp LED bulbs like the 110 volt Whelen strobes?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I don't get any noise off my LED nav / strobes on the wing tips with non-shielded wires going to them.  Just a single wire, single switch to them.  One flip of the switch turns on the nav, turn them off then back on within 3 seconds and they will strobe.  Uses normal whelen nav light sockets.  I still have the old school strobe on the tail and have shielded wires going to it and I can still hear it discharging in the head set if the engine is not running.  

:BC:

Posted

I don't get any noise off my LED nav / strobes on the wing tips with non-shielded wires going to them.  Just a single wire, single switch to them.  One flip of the switch turns on the nav, turn them off then back on within 3 seconds and they will strobe.  Uses normal whelen nav light sockets.  I still have the old school strobe on the tail and have shielded wires going to it and I can still hear it discharging in the head set if the engine is not running.  

Which led light do you have?

Posted

Properly installed shielded wire is never worse than nonshielded wire, so if in doubt I go with shielded.  That said, I've not encountered any noisy LED's, but I've sure encountered noisy LED power supplies.  Switching power supplies are noisy devices, particularly if poorly designed / cheaply made.  Most new voltage changing power supplies are switching these days since they are much more efficient than the old 'just drop a resistor in the circuit' power supplies.  Depending on where the LED power supply is probably determines where they are noisy.

As an aside, if you have radio noise, and you have a USB power supply in the plane to power a tablet for foreflight, etc, the first thing to do is unplug it.  A lot of the cheaper ones are extremely noisy.  Some of the expensive ones are too, and I haven't found a brand/supplier that I can reliably say is good.

Mark

Posted

Which led light do you have?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/navstrobe11374.php