Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anti-chafe tape

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I believe I have some finishing touches to do on my wings then I would like to try my hand at Fabric, I bought some of poly-fibers cloth anti chafe-tape and my question is, do you see all the edges of the anti-chafe tapes  after your finished.  I'm just wondering how careful I need to be at getting all the anti-chafe tape run nice and strait. I am using the 2.7oz Fabric also.

Posted (edited)

Yes the anti chafe tape will show.  Any imperfection however small will show through.  Even a hair off a paint brush will show.  Here's a photo of my wing tip.  You can see the little squares of anti chafe tape covering each rivet.  This is polyfiber medium weight fabric.  

Anti Chafe tape.jpg

Edited by tcj

Posted

I never used any anti chafe tape.  No matter what you do, the best job will not be perfect.  Or maybe never finished ;-)  I wanted to fly, and wanted it to look decent.  I think my recovers did that.  Were they perfect?  No.  I'm reminded of what a painter who used to work on some of my construction jobs used to say.  He'd say: looks good from far, but far from good.  He was quite a character.  Last I heard of him, everything looks the same (grass roots)

Posted

We used the cloth tape that you put on bandages with - guess its called surgical tape - comes in widths from 1/2" to 2".

EDMO

Posted

I never used any anti chafe tape.  No matter what you do, the best job will not be perfect.  Or maybe never finished ;-)  I wanted to fly, and wanted it to look decent.  I think my recovers did that.  Were they perfect?  No.  I'm reminded of what a painter who used to work on some of my construction jobs used to say.  He'd say: looks good from far, but far from good.  He was quite a character.  Last I heard of him, everything looks the same (grass roots)

LOL!!! That is a good one. I just call it a "50 footer". Looks good 50 feet away! ;)

I've seen some people get it all or nearly all of it out. It requires several coats of primer and a lot of sanding.