Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

16 inch stretch

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody got good pictures of the 16 inch stretch I would like to see what others have done, This might be something I am interested in,

Posted (edited)

I think there are a couple of pics of this on Brett's Airdale site.  Maybe I can search for it and post a link.  Jim Chuk

PS  that was easy to find http://www.airdale.com/stretch.htm

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

There are two pictures on the Airdale site, but their value is limited. However, they do give you the basic idea of how/where the stretch is made. 

http://www.airdale.com/stretch.htm

Posted

The Fat Avid is 18" longer than the Mk4.

EDMO

Posted

I've got a stretched fuse on my first project. I'll try to get some pictures for you later today.

2 people like this

Posted

Here is a wide shot of the tail. I think the "vee" near the center of the picture is where the extra length was added.

568c29f2cafc1_IMG_20160105_1236444981.th

The red X's are about 15 1/2" apart. I also tried to mark where the longeron splices are. There is one just ahead of the lift handles, and one just ahead of the bottom of the "vee". On the top longeron there is one directly above the lift handle. I couldn't quite tell where the other top longeron splice was. The spices had a larger diameter tupe slipped over the longeron. The splices only go around about 3/4 of the longeron, and are tapered on the ends.

568c2a0b4ae95_IMG_20160105_1237103301.th

1 person likes this

Posted

Luked, thanks for taking these!  Definitely good documentation to have. Any chance you could snap a couple more: directly above looking down and bottom up and maybe some close ups of a couple of the grafts?

Posted

It's kind of hard to get a picture from the bottom because I've got the fuse sitting on the floor right now. Here is one from the top. I think this angle give the best idea of what is going on. Looking from directly overhead, it can  actually be kind of confusing what tubes are where. Ignore the idler arm in the middle that was for a different pushrod system made by the previous builder. You can see the vees going down to the center. I think simple diagonals would have been enough to do the job just like at the other stations on the tail. They might have done that just to mount the idler. You can also see the additional wood pieces that were added to the longerons to blend in the shape of the extended area.

568c3cfff2dbb_IMG_20160105_1359270541.th

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for taking those. This is some thing I may consider, Not sure what kind of deference it would make but it looks fun 

Posted

No problem.