Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rib lacing cord

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I was looking through spruce at the rib lacing cord and for the flat stuff it is priced at $45 bucks a role is there a knock off one that is a bit cheaper.

Posted

The round super flight stuff is cheaper.  $32.70...

Posted

Is the round quite a bit more noticeable after the tape is on, I have never laced anything, so it is all new to me.

Posted

The round stuff is not quite 1/16" in diameter, so it doesn't stick up much in my opinion.  I never used the flat stuff, but am thinking that then you would have to make sure it lays flat and doesn't have a twist in it where it goes over the rib.  May not be much of a big deal, I'm not sure.  I ended up with an almost full roll of round cord in a bunch of stuff I bough once, so that's all I've used.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Good to know, I see there is several different needles to buy do you guys have a favorite one, Or a good one for rookies

Posted

Good to know, I see there is several different needles to buy do you guys have a favorite one, Or a good one for rookies

Sharpened coat hanger wires have been used...

EDMO

Posted

i have only used the round cord.  I like the way rib stitching looks.  Its how fabric airplanes should look

1 person likes this

Posted

I used a 12 inch needle with a curved tip on my avid.  see a/c spruce: 09-18720

1 person likes this

Posted

I've made my own needles with some gas welding rod.  3/32" if my memory is right.  Flatten the end, drilled a hole, in it, pointed the other end on the grinder.   Jim Chuk

Posted

I used round lib lacing cord because I wanted that "Vintage" look of a fabric airplane.  It took a lot of work with the tip of the iron to make the finish tapes lie flat next to the cord.  If I did another I would use flat cord.