Turbulence

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I encountered a variety of winds and turbulence yesterday.  A couple of guys in a Searey and I left early in the morning for Cedar Key FL from Clermont.  Shortly after reaching cruise we picked up some tail winds.  Tail winds that turned into 20-25 MPH tailwinds.  Got us there pretty fast.

The runway at Cedar Key is situated on a small strip of land off the coast, tall trees and buildings lining either side.   The winds were straight across the runway from the right.  My first time in rotors I could really feel.  I left like a maple leaf on its way to the ground.  Fortunately we've had a fair amount of windy weather lately and I've been out practicing in it.  Landing was without incident though I was not interested in having a cup of coffee aftwards (Video of landing attached below).

A high level of security is maintained at this airport featuring a 4' high fence surround complete with cipher lock gate (shown below).  Yes, the combination is 523 and the sign is printed on both sides in case anyone gets locked out.  I think the wording of the sign is designed to throw off non-pilot types, as it almost threw me off but I was cunning enough to try the three numbers at the bottom of the sign on the lock.

Because of the now steady headwinds, neither plane had what any of us considered to be enough fuel to get back.  While walking down the road toward "town" discussing our predicament an old man and his dog pulled up in a bright yellow '32 Bugatti open cab, powered by a VW engine in need of rings.  Thick Maine accent, he looked and sounded like he could have been one of the Kennedys.  He was a pilot too. He offered to help us out.  He came back in his truck, we loaded up and he gave us a tour of the entire island, stopping off at his residence to grab another 5g gas can, then off to the filling station.

The filling station was a comical affair consisting of barefoot locals with purpose built boats, livestock, dead fish, and pilots in need of fuel.  Oddly, out here on a tiny island, at a filling station that wouldn't be out of place in mexico, they had an ethanol free blue pump!

Flying back inland is where the real fun began.  Well, for me it was anything but fun.  My little plane got tossed around in the most violent thermal activity in my short flying career of exactly 90 days at the time.  Half an hour of working the elevator, ailerons, rudder and throttle in constant motion to keep flying somewhat straight.  At one point I was getting so mentally tired I seriously contemplated putting it down on a pasture that passing beneath me. 

We landed at another airport well short of our destination (Crystal River), had lunch and hung around on the apron trying to talk the weather into calming down with encouraging phrases.  "Look the flag is hanging limp.  But the one 50 yards away is out straight".  We waited until things seemed to ease up and took off heading for the home field to the east in Clermont.  As soon as I got a few miles inland from Crystal River the thermals kicked in again with vigor!  I knew there was another airport a few miles ahead and decided to put it down again.  I just was not up to 30 more minutes of getting tossed around.  My plane spent the night in Inverness FL. My buddies came in the car, a one hour drive to fetch me.

Today I have that fell off the horse and need to get back in the saddle reluctance to fly.  It sucks.  The past few weeks have been consistently windy, but not so thermal-ly, so I got plenty of practice in winds 10-20 mph.  I'm feeling respectfully comfortable with winds and variable conditions, but not whopper thermals.   Yesterday was definitely a reminder that I'm still learning.

IMG_1602.JPG

image1.jpeg

Video.MOV

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted (edited)

Depending on the severity of the turbulence, I was taught to fly the plane and only correct it if it was really getting way out of shape. We were flying one windy day after a front. I had a death grip on the yoke and was fighting it. My instructor said WTF are you doing, my airplane. With two fingers he was flying it better than I was. I took that lead and never had that problem since. Not sure how much that applies to your case, but it may.

Glad you made it safely!

Edited by Fly-n-Low
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks Fly-n-Low.  Its great to get feedback from experienced pilots.  I bet if I could look over my shoulder I would see that indeed I was using more grip than necessary.  Good advice.  I do remember having a death grip on the throttle.

OAN, I just got back from flying my plane back home from the airport where I left it yesterday.  I'm back in the saddle :)

Edited by Knuckledragger
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a cup cake when it comes to flying in rough conditions myself.  I read once that it will be smoother if you tend to lift a dropped wing with the rudder rather than the flaperon.  I believe it's true.  Doesn't make them go away, but I think it helps to mellow them out a bit.  YMMV.  Jim Chuk

PS  Just to be clear, I'm talking about using the rudder while in cruise flight, not on landing

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have been in some weather that would make a person think twice about flying again - I have even been hurt so badly I had to land at an alternate airport.  Fortunately, I've had a lot more good flights than bad ones.

BTW:  Looking at your video, if you had gotten any lower, that dark plane would have blended into the surface - A yellow or white plane would have been spotted easier from the air, but I might have spotted the white stripes on your wings if I looked closely.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

The thing I've found with turbulence, in admittedly heavier airplanes, is to ride with it as much as possible, don't fight it. It's easier on the plane, and on the pilot (maybe not the passengers though).

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

looking good! no taxicab judy though? since when did they re do the runway at cedar key?  been a few years since ive been down there...

Edited by thebriman
1 person likes this

Posted

No taxicab Judy. However this gentleman was kind enough to take us to town and let us use his gas can

image.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

BUG A T !!!  LOL!!!

Posted

Thanks for sharing.  I hate thermal activity as well.  I have made the Skew-T charts my friend, and that has helped a great deal (at least with knowing what to expect on a given day).

2 people like this

Posted

Dog looks a lot like one of mine