Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Black airplanes

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I sure am seeing a lot more Jet black tube and fabric airplanes. The fabric must handle it ok, but what do you guys think.

Posted (edited)

I sure am seeing a lot more Jet black tube and fabric airplanes. The fabric must handle it ok, but what do you guys think.

I was thinking about copying your red and black!  Black might be OK in the daylight or if you went down in the snow, but what about finding a black airplane in the woods at night?  Got to prepare for any circumstances!

Reflective tape is good too...

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I saw a study of an Ultralight with aged sails and the dark colored areas on the top of the wings and HS were in better shape than the light areas.  Not sure if that translates to our painted fabric planes, but I would have thought the opposite to be true.  Dark colored houses don't weather as well as light ones. I will take a look and see if I can find it again.

Posted

You cant really argue with the obvious - and that is - That the Yellow Cub-like planes are probably the easiest to spot in most any situation - Unless you land in an Aspen forest in the fall...

EDMO

Posted

Black is a bad idea if you want to be seen from any angle other than below.My dark blue colour KF is next to impossible to see even with yellow markings and a very bright strobe 

the fabric is 25 years old and apart from a couple of pea sized bubbles is in excellent condition ,we don't have very high temperatures here over 30c,but our uv is one of the highest on the world.

Posted

I guess the fabric will last with any color you want if you put good UV protection on it.  The only question I might have is how hot the fiberglass tanks might get with a dark color in our summer sun and temperatures.

EDMO

Posted

I recall someone on one of the Avid or KF forums or email lists put a temp prob in their wings with black painted surfaces and shared results. The temp increase over white wings was astounding. Don't recall particulars but decided on the spot that I would limit dark colors to fuselage only on my plane.

Posted

I recall someone on one of the Avid or KF forums or email lists put a temp prob in their wings with black painted surfaces and shared results. The temp increase over white wings was astounding. Don't recall particulars but decided on the spot that I would limit dark colors to fuselage only on my plane.

I agree with Doug - I have seen similar tests that included parts painted black and white and the temperature of the black was about 2 times the temperature of the white, sitting in summer sunlight.

EDMO

Posted

I talked to poly fiber today about this and they said black is not a problem at all for there fabric, They said the only thing you need to do is pre shrink the tapes under tension, then it will last a very long time. If you don't the tapes will declamation. they said follow the poly fiber manual on pre shrinking and you will be just fine, So for anyone else that wants to have a shiny black airplane there is the facts, Also lars from better aircraft fabrics said by next summer he will have black fabric because a bunch of crazy cub flyers from Alaska want it. Now look at this picture and tell me this plane isn't Sexy.

black super stol.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Now look at this picture and tell me this plane isn't Sexy.

black super stol.jpg

Yes, everything about this picture is sexy, off airport, tires, tailwheel, BLACK. 

I LOVE black toys.

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

It don't get hot enough in most of Alaska to melt the glue!

EDMO