Any interest in a Bing 54 rebuild tutorial?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Would anyone be interested in the inner workings of a Bing 54 and a rebuild tutorial? I am getting ready to do another set. It's quite a bit of work to make a decent article with pics but if there's enough interest and it will help people out I will gladly do it. 

5 people like this

Posted

Would anyone be interested in the inner workings of a Bing 54 and a rebuild tutorial? I am getting ready to do another set. It's quite a bit of work to make a decent article with pics but if there's enough interest and it will help people out I will gladly do it. 

Absolutely!  I've been taught some of it but not a step by step teardown and rebuild from the start.  

Posted

I'd sure be interested. 

Posted

You could do it like a Dave Fischer video on YouTube!  (Only make it a little less creepy…)

Posted

Woa....Can't unsee that!

Posted

When I read the presenter's name, that video came to mind.

No, you will never unsee that!

Posted

I think it would be a good idea.  I was looking everywhere for a tutorial when I did the Bing 64 carbs for mine and I imagine people rebuilding the 54 carbs run into the same thing.  Carb rebuilds really aren't that bad if you take your time and understand what you are doing.

One piece of advice I can give is to disassemble and rebuild one carb at a time so you always have one that is put together correctly that you can use as reference.  I've seen many people take a set of carbs and completely tear them down for rebuild and then when it comes to put them back together they just stand there staring at the pile of parts scratching their head because they can't remember what went where.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Very good advice! Often times you are pulled away and by the time you get back to the job you've forgotten what goes where. I take so many pics with my phone when doing things for exactly the same reasons now, definitely one of those 'tools' I don't know I ever got along without.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Very good advice! Often times you are pulled away and by the time you get back to the job you've forgotten what goes where. I take so many pics with my phone when doing things for exactly the same reasons now, definitely one of those 'tools' I don't know I ever got along without.

If you are like me, your memory was better before cellular phones...

Posted

Yep, and my ability to do math calculations in my head was noticeably better before calculators too. Ahh, the price of progress!

Posted

My memory is much better with a cell phone.  

I use it to photograph stuff before I take it apart....  

Posted

Remember when you went the hardware store, got a bag of bolts/nuts/whatever from the bulk bins, then had to try to write on the stupid plastic bag with a pen that wasn't there, and if it was it didn't write anymore?  Now I just take a picture of the barcode label on the bins I get stuff from, then show it to the cashier.  Much better!  Works for stuff in Home depot like concrete blocks, etc. that don't have a barcode also.

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

Got my carbs mostly back together last night. The O ring for the airscrew was rotten in the package. Pretty disappointing considering what you pay for those things.

Posted

A tute' would be great.  Just a few pics is fine, no need for a video IMHO.  If you do do a video, remember that speedo's and needle valves should never occupy the same airspace in front of a camera. :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

C'mon man!  There's something hauntingly American about a fuzzy beer belly on YouTube. 

(Even though Dave is from Ontario...)

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

But he thinks like many of us Americans so I guess we can call him a "brother"?

Posted

C'mon man!  There's something hauntingly American about a fuzzy beer belly on YouTube. 

(Even though Dave is from Ontario...)

It's about taking an environmental stand you know?  He doesn't run as many loads of laundry that way.  I used to strip down to the waist installing roof jacks for conduit penetrations.  Once you get the first dab of that black jack stuff on you, it's all over.  

Posted

"Strip" and "Penetration" should not be allowed in the same sentence here...

1 person likes this

Posted

Would people quit posting to this topic?  I have to close my eyes while scrolling down to avoid throwing up each time...... :wacko: