Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Strut cuffs

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I've heard some good results from cleaning up the area around where the struts attach to the wings. I was just looking around Murle Williams site because he adds things from time to time and noticed he had some. Anyone tried making something like this? I shot him an email asking about an Avid application. With the additions of the big tires, shocks, baggage area....it's time to focus on cleaning her up some.

strutcuffs.jpg

Posted

Think weight versus benefit. 

How fast you gonna go in that Avid?

Posted

I agree with that statement, but from the aesthetics point of view go for it they do look nice, how much do they cost is it worth sanding down and shaping blue foam then glassing them to save 50 bucks, 

Posted

You could shape them with the foam, tape them on and see if it gains you anything.  I remember seeing a thread on another site a while back where they were made from modeling clay just to test how much speed they would give.  If I remember right it did not give much in terms of speed.  With the undercambered wing you gonna hit the wall anyways on the speed.  The thing I would be interested in is how much more climb you get by cleaning it all up!

:BC:

Posted

If they fit Kitfox, then why wouldn't they fit an Avid?

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Think weight versus benefit. 

How fast you gonna go in that Avid?

If I was worried about speed I would not be running 27" tires but considering I am down to 75 or so there is some meat left on the bone. I am not trying to go 120 to a pancake bfast at the next town over like most people do. More interested in the climb and power off aspect of it. Think 40 less horsepower full loaded at 12,500 on an 11 hr 550nm trip over nothing but miles of trees and giant rocks and ANY benefit even if it's just in your head is nice to have. 

Edited by C5Engineer
2 people like this

Posted

with your tires, you certainly must have a big improvement to  see a difference