Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airstrip at the cabin

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I started pioneering in the airstrip at the cabin yesterday.  The backhoe is at the top of the runway about 75 feet higher than the touchdown point.  Total length 750'.

post-267-0-68670200-1442886237_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Very cool!  I hope to get one put in at my cabin in the next couple of months if the weather holds out! 

:BC:

Posted

Great, hope this weather hold so you can get yours done. Post some pictures. We can't get enough of those Alaska photos.

Posted (edited)

First landing and T/O at my new airstrip today.  Just about 20 hrs of build time 15 hrs. with the 410 John Deere and about 3 hours with the pickup and the drag to get it "smooth".  Nothing like that Gospel Lake strip of Larry's or Jim's airstrip this is a backcountry one way airstrip.  I will get the GoPro fired up for some video footage.  If anyone gets out to Central Wyoming and wants to land some airstrip let me know and we can go out and play.

PS  There is still a lot of work to do,  about 200 6-8' Juniper bushes to cut up, fine tuning on the leveling if we ever get some moisture and seeding which I will do before the first good snow but hey, it is usable now at least.

Edited by Paul S
1 person likes this

Posted

Its awesome to have your own runway, double awesome to have it at your recreational cabin!  Landing at mine saves me about an hours drive time.  I keep the cabin fully stocked so if I get a wild hair up my a$$ I can jump in the plane and shoot up there and stay a few days if I feel like it.

Posted

You guys make me :drool3:

Posted

Whats the elevation at your strip?  My cabin is setting at 1480' but the low temps make it a breeze to get out of 300' of roadway... the tight trees on the other hand don't make it much fun with a cross wind.  There is less than 5' on each wing tip when I drop below the trees and the perpetual cross wind keeps a feller on his toes!

Posted

You guys make me :drool3:

x2... Man, how awesome is that!

I aspire to my own private airstrip and hanger barn too... on a lake with a seaplane ramp and motorized lift/rail straight into the hanger!  :beerchug:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I was just looking at my pics of when I started my runway addition, and what it looks like now. Couple a hundred gallons of diesel fuel in the D6 and tractors and a bunch of time. Having a runway right outside the door means you fly a lot more often. I've had half hour rides at times to the airport when the plane was there, and it's a much bigger effort to get there and flying. Build away! First pic was taken 4-25, second one was on 9-14. Jim Chuk

PS, just looked at the pics after posting them, and part of the new addition was field to begin with, but not good enough to land on. Had to cut almost 6 feet out from where I was standing when I took the first picture

post-329-0-76288800-1443144687_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-78297000-1443144887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk
3 people like this

Posted

I am sooo envious!

I bought my last house in the city to be near shopping and doctors to make wife happy - Now, she thinks it is getting too crowded and wants to move back to the country - And I'm getting too old to start again!

EdMO

Posted

The runway is setting at right around 5400' and in the summer 8000' DA is common. It is cleared to 60+ feet wide and headed directly into the prevailing wind.  Man 5' off each wing tip and the dirty air when you drop in there I bet that is a challenge Leni.

That addition sure is looking good Jim.

Posted

Man that is great!  Way to go you guys. 

Leni, hurry up with yours so I can get down there and visit.  I don't think I am into the 5' tip clearance in the wind.

Posted

Way to go guys. Those look great. I also am lucky to have my own strip. 2400' grass with a little hanger/shop. Keep my RV and the kitfox project there.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Way to go guys. Those look great. I also am lucky to have my own strip. 2400' grass with a little hanger/shop. Keep my RV and the kitfox project there.

I will be calling you if I can ever get my Foxy finished, find my way, or afford the gas, to Misislippi.

How far are you from Memphis? I live right by I-55, South of St.Louis, and follow it South, just got to go around the SAC base at Blytheville, and the TCA at Memphis and Jackson.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hi Ed. I am in NE MS just south of Tupelo. If you fly direct I think you will miss MEM class B. We'll be happy to have you.

Posted

Hi Ed. I am in NE MS just south of Tupelo. If you fly direct I think you will miss MEM class B. We'll be happy to have you.

I lived at Whitehaven, Tn. (close to Elvis) for a while before going into Army - I know your area well.

It may take a couple more years to finish this bird.

Thanks, Ed

Posted (edited)

MK IV at the top of the airstrip yesterday.

Sorry the photo came out bad on the post. If you click on the photo it will appear in the proper perspective.

post-2-0-46724400-1443717963.jpeg

Edited by akflyer
2 people like this

Posted

Looks awesome!

Posted

Looks good!  I am not sure why the pics turn sideways on the forum.  It has something to do with the orientation of the camera when you take the picture.  I am hoping the new software upgrade that should be taking place any day now will help with that.  I edited it so it shows right.

1 person likes this

Posted

That is great!  I love those proof pictures.

Posted

Here is a quick video from the avid landing at the new strip.

Paul

4 people like this

Posted

I am envious.

Thanks

Posted

Color me green, and inspired...  Great job!

Posted

Nice! 

Posted

Nice, you didn't even have to brake hard!  Sweet set up you have!