Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Paint for flaps

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all I'm going to paint my flaperons but not sure what paint would be best . Any help would be great. Thanks Rusty

Posted

I used PPG Concept for all FG and metal.  Polytone on the fabric but read that polytone was iffy for metal and fiberglass.

Posted

Paul how was the ppg to work with. I did a test with the poly tone the results were marginal when used on aluminum.

Posted

If you want to use poly tone on the aluminum and fiberglass parts, some have had success with shooting a coat of epoxy on the parts, and just as the epoxy starts to get tacky, shoot it with the poly tone.  I believe it mentions this in the  poly fiber manual.  Jim Chuk

Posted

My painter recommended aerothane for the flaperons (or anything not fabric).  Actually shot the whole bird in aerothane to avoid any color mismatches.  Aluminum pieces (and fiberglass) came out fantastic.

Posted

aerothane is epoxy, so it should stick.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

The Concept is easy enough but the al must be prepped and primed with the products PPG recommends. Nothing is as easy to spray as the PolyTone but the Concept is fairly simple. Concept is acrylic urethane and like Aerothane which is polyurethane it contains isocyanates and full protection is necessary for safe use. I see Poly-Fiber now has product called Poly-Fiber Mark II for metal and fiberglass in their standard colors and supplied air respirator is "not" required. I think I would lean in that direction if I were doing mine today.

Edited by Paul S
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the replys . I'm going to spray my flaps with urethane that I picked up today from a local paint supply store. Hopefully I will get them sprayed by this weekend . Thanks again Rusty