Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Guy

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Another "Old Guy" New Guy,  I just re-acquired my Model C after I sold it 10 years ago.  Back in the cockpit again!  It has lived in a garage on the trailer for the last 10 years with only a few hours added so I bought it back.

I've been trolling the forum for a while and since I now have my plane back thought I would join up and be part of the fun.  I had a few things to repair and have to "Annual" the plane.  It has not had an annual since 2006.  I replaced the dead battery with a gel cell.   It had some minor damage while in storage, hole in the right wing aft root panel but is covered with Stitts (poly fiber) so the repair was easy and the rest of the fabric is almost like it was when I sold it in 2005.  The muffler needed to be remounted so it does not bang against the lower cowl and the cowl needed a bit of minor fiberglass work and touch up paint. The compass diaphragm failed after sitting so long so I made a new diaphragm and refilled the body with mineral oil thinned with mineral spirits.  The "Tiny Tach" internal lithium battery had died (probably 5 years ago) so I dis-assembled the glued together case, carved out the filler material till I got to the battery, removed the expired battery and soldered leads to the tabs and re-glued the case together.  I now have 2 AAA cells in a battery holder external to the case I can replace when they run out of power. I pulled the bowls from the carbs and they were clean with only a bit of residual oil, jets were clean so...ran the engine, Fired right up...pops like it should.  I have to re-learn the jetting details for prop pitch and temperature changes.

After inspecting everything, every nut and bolt,  I think it is all good to go.  The only thing I'm not too sure about is the gear bungee.   It is the original stuff as far as I know, that would make it at least 15 years old. I would sure hate to have a gear failure.

Does anyone remember how long the bungee is and what size it is?  There are plenty of marine supply houses in this area so raw material should be available locally.

Fortunately I still have the repairman's cert for the plane.  

After I get the appropriate administrative entries made in the log books I should fly it this week.

When I figure the forum out some more I'll post pictures.

MarkD

Posted (edited)

MarkD,

Welcome back - If you need to post photos, click on the "More Reply Options" next to the "Post" button at the bottom of your post - this will send your post to the advanced editor where you can browse for your photos to add them.

If you want a private conversation with someone, click on their name and the options to send them a message will come up - you can get to your messages by clicking on the envelope in upper right corner near your name.

Hope this helps, since I have no info on Avid Bungees.

EDMO

However, a safety cable on the gear might keep you from a disaster if a bungee breaks.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your story. Its a shame how many of these birds just sit around. Sounds like you about ready to get her back in the air where she belongs. Here is some info I dug out of my tech files that came from Steve at Airdale a while back regarding bungees. I used this technique when I did mine. Still not a fun task but makes it a lot easier when you don't have to try and stretch for the last loop because you went too loose on the first couple. Hope it helps. Looking forward to your latest first flight story and some pictures of your bird. I'm currently doing some exhaust and cowl work myself so I may need to pick your brain a little.

The LATEST bungees that AVID Made --post 1993 were different than
earlier types. Mainly because the empty weight and gross weight
INCREASED.
We in the Uk, found that the earlier bungees, a kind of SILVERY Outer
with Black flecks in them, were commercial Bungee cord as found in
sports stores etc. and very very weak / inconsistent in "stretchiness"
The book /manual just stated something like put as many wraps on as
you could get...not good---some people managed 6 others 8 and some
even 9--the more wraps the LESS stretch till finally no stretch and
then solid gear- heavy landing no stretch so they bent and broke the
seat truss, propeller, wing tip flaperon etc $$$$
We found that the OLD cord was too lightweight to comply with landing
gear loads and we found that a Mil Spec cord met all the requirment
necessary---- Kitfoxes went the same way!!
After 1993 Avid used Mil spec cord TOTALLY--we have done so ALL the time.
This cord is a Beigeish Outer Cottony braid with colored flecks in
it--the color could be just one color or maybe two--this is a date
code of manufacture so varies from batch to batch.
On all Avids, with these cords, the wraps are 7 and Seven only--you
cannot physically get more than 7--it just won't stretch that far.
(It is 8 full wraps on OUR WIDE Gear)
The way to wrap the bungee is to measure the overall length first.
Loop to Loop...should be around 90"
Divide this number by 7 (approx 13") (= number of wraps)
Start at one end of bungee and use a pencil/marker and measure/mark
6.5" ' ish
Then mark again at 19.5", 32.5", 45.5" and so on till end.
Last mark will be abouit 6.5" 'ish from loop
To install use two people... or Adult + Child
Put child inside cockpit and have them feed the cord thru the gap.
2nd person underneath..Hook cord on peg in cockpit and feed down thru gap.
Pull to first mark on bottom of gearleg..easy----about 3/8" stretch
put thumb on mark on gear leg--feed back up thru gap and get helper to
loop around seat truss and feed end back.
Pull end thru and get second mark on gear leg---
Thumb on 2nd mark and then feed back up again
Continues until you have all marks in line on bottom of gear leg and
hook the final leg back onto other side of peg--
This is easiest way to do it, does not need some WWF guy to stretch
and hold in place AND gives EVEN tension in the cord...
Works every time...
Should be similar with Kfoxes --but cord lengths different and maybe #
of wraps..
Best regards,
Steve at Airdale..

Posted

Joey,

Wasn't there something posted about modifying Avid gear to be more like Kitfox on the bungee ends - and reinforcement where ends break - safety cables?

EDMO

Posted

I have the recommended safety cables installed but I'm thinking of doubling up just to be sure till I can get around to replacing the bungee.  I suppose if I grease it on every time the bungee should never get a work out.

Posted

I have preached modifying the Avid and Kitfox bungee gear A LOT!  Where the tube is that the bungee wraps around cut the tab off the end and slip another tube inside there.  The gear fails at the toe of the weld and you loose the safety cable and the bungee!  By putting the tube inside that area, the crack from the weld will not propagate into the inside tube and it will give you time to catch a cracked weld on a good preflight before you fold the gear and find yourself hanging upside down by the shoulder harness... Been there done that!  I have seen it happen on several avids and kit foxes and took the ride in one of them..

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I remember from building in '98, '99 time frame that I had acquired new bungee that was the MIL-SPEC cord. Recent inspection does not reveal any apparent degradation but it is 15 years old.

Posted

OK, research project now in progress! Gear mods, I'll start figuring out what mod to perform next winter on the gear. I do not think I need anything taller or a whole lot wider and I do not want to add weight if I can help it.

Posted

U tube has a video of a Bungee replacement

(How to install airplane bungee EASY- no pussys kitfox aircraft)

I have done a few like this it is surprisingly easy.

Yes definitely check the uc leg or reinforce it ,a break would ruin your day!

Safety straps ,My opinion is to install them long enough to keep your prop out if the dirt- just,

As too short will harm your truss( my ac had evidence of this)

Have fun ,great to see another return to flying

Posted

OK, research project now in progress! Gear mods, I'll start figuring out what mod to perform next winter on the gear. I do not think I need anything taller or a whole lot wider and I do not want to add weight if I can help it.

here is a quick sketch I have posted a few times.

gear leg.pdf

Posted

Thanks for the comments, Sketch is great, printed out and in the research file. I will definitely be adding the internal tube for additional support.

Posted

If your plane doesn't already have it, it's a good idea to fill in the seat truss with plywood, or if you have it uncovered, do it with .040 steel. Also, I've bought the bungee (shock) cord from Aircraft Spruce several times. Way cheaper than trying to buy it factory made with the huge aluminum clamps on the ends. Jim Chuk

post-329-0-51382800-1433884205_thumb.jpg

Posted

By the way, welcome to the forum!  Glad to see an old bird being put back in the air!!

Posted (edited)

Once you go Grove, you'll never bungee again...

http://www.groveaircraft.com/landing_gear.html

(and welcome to the AvidFox nuthouse.)

Edited by Av8r3400