Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

More about Flaperon rigging

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I have read a hundred post about this but just want to make sure I am reading this right. With the F7A arms installed, the down flaperon should go down further than the up flaperon goes up correct. That is the whole differential idea, am I reading that right.

Posted (edited)

TJay,

I believe you have that backwards - You want more drag on the wing going down (the way you are turning) - so the down flaperon that pushes the wing up on the outside of the turn needs to go down about 1/2 the amount the inside flaperon goes up - to prevent adverse yaw.

Kick me if I have this backasserds, or didn't understand what you wrote,  but sounds right to me.

I think I could have written this better......The UP flaperon should go UP as much as 2 times as far as the DOWN flaperon goes DOWN.

Which way you push the stick to the side, that flaperon should go UP - controls have been accidently reversed on some experimentals.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed has it right, with the f7a you get more up travel than down. It creates much less adverse yaw as the flaperon or aileron that is down cause more drag than the one going up.

:BC:

Posted

Ok thanks guys Ill see if I can mess with it this weekend, If I get a chance, I get to do a pancake breakfast fly in Saturday morning and Sunday morning, Gonna get fat this summer.

Posted

If you are converting check full throws with flaps on. My limiting factor on how much flaps I can put on is the linkage hitting the turtledeck with full deflection and flaps on.

Posted (edited)

Can you put a hole or bump in the turtledeck Joey?   More Flaps = More Fun!

I loved the Birddog with those big 60 degree flaps - It could fall like a rock, or ALMOST HOVER to a landing, and then we would chop power just as the wheels touch...

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

More flaps on an Avid means inversion and loss of control…  

:shitfan:

Posted (edited)

I have heard that - Of course they don't really have flaps...Just drooping ailerons.

Mine will have flaps and ailerons separate, if I can ever get it finished.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

More flaps on an Avid means inversion and loss of control…  

:shitfan:

I have not experienced it with mine with the F7a arms installed.  :dunno: 

1 person likes this

Posted

I remember that SuberAvid gave some numbers a while back - He had maxed out his flaperons and had no reversal problems.

EDMO

Posted

Max flaperons means high angle of attack of wing. Any more flaperon applied by aileron application increases angle of attack more. You end up stalling the wing. There is no picking up the stalled wing with aileron. Very dangerous when coming in slow for short landing. Flaperons for takeoff will pop you off into ground effect quickly and then as airspeed builds you are smoothly letting them off. Don't get confused about how safe full flaperon setting is. I got real F@#$ing lucky and only bent the airplane. Could have been way worse.

Posted

The avid is primarily flown with my feet for directional control so lack of roll has only ever come into play on severe cross wind landings.. and of course, with those I don't use much if any flap.  If you are that slow and you need to pick up a wing, your feet are going to be the only way to do it.

As with any new toy, I am not recommending that your first flight be with 20+° flaperons on take off and landing.. Once you get the feel for your plane at altitude doing extreme slow flight (not just straight and level, drive the thing all around the sky hanging it on the prop) and see how much flaperon input does what to your aircraft at an altitude you can safely recover from if you do stall it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think people are making a big deal out of the the flaperons. I have my flap stop nut turned as far in as it will go, not sure what degree that would be. I'm not sure if full flaps on takeoff makes much differnce on takeoff roll. I think it might help take more weight off the gear in rough or deep snow with skis on, or rough ground with wheels. Full flaps on landing means a steeper glide angle, it will drop out of the sky like a rock. Full flaps on landing makes it much harder to judge the landing flare. I always come in fast or ad power about 15 ft above the ground When using full flaps. Super fast sink rate at slow speed. Crosswind landings. I have learned not to use flaps in a crosswind landings. More than once I have ran out of flaperon. Like Leni said do not forget about your rudder. I think I had bruises on the inside of my knee because I slammed the stick so far to the right. I just gave a ride to a friend the other night. We were at full gross full flaps. Came in a little fast and added a little power on flare. Greased it on no problem. Hell I suprised myself. Don't worry about text book flight instrutor landings, these airplanes take a little different technique. Most of all Don't be afraid of them they are a blast to fly.

Posted (edited)

I have flown lots of planes - some with big flaps or flaperons, and some with no flaps.

Flaps are just another control to learn to use AFTER you learn to fly your bird.  You can fly it without using them.

They are not to be used with strong crosswind landings, but are great for soft field operations.

I agree with what the others have said, like Leni said, "learn to fly with your feet" - rudder will rule at slow speeds.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri