Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Back in the air

14 posts in this topic

Posted

It has been 5 months since I have been in the air.  Two days ago I went down to yakima and took a flight review in a 1940 J3-Cub and yesterday finished the condition inspection.

I started working on my condition inspection last October.  Yesterday I tied my tail to the trailer and ran the overhauled 503 through the Rotax break-in procedure.  At the point where you give it the first full throttle blast...for 10 seconds about half way through the procedure...if the RPMs are not in the specified range you have to stop and re-pitch the prop.  They were 100 RPM too low.  I reduced the angle on the blades 1 degree which raised the RPMs 150.  I finished the break-in run then flew around the valley for an hour.  Good to be back in the air with condition inspection and flight review both done and the beginning of the flying season.

LRqmBSt.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Congrats on getting her back in the air! Were you able to get full rpm on the prop settings before the rebuild?

:BC:

Posted

Yes, The prop was pitched for 6150 before the rebuild but I didn't mark it or remember the degrees.  I thought it was 12 so thats where I set it this time but had to decrease it to 11 for 6150 this time.

Posted

How does that bird do with the 503 in it? I have a 503 that performs great in my quad city challenger. love that engine.

Posted (edited)

It was a complete plane Kitfox package from the old Skystar for $14995 when they reintroduced the model 4 as the Classic 4. The 503 does fine.  The plane weighs 573 empty.  You do need to know how to fly, not just push in the throttle and hang on.  With me and 9 gallons of gas it weighs 800.  It will climb at 800 feet per minute on a cool day here at 1800 feet elevation and cruise at 85 mph at 6000 RPM.  With a 200 pound passenger the takeoff roll doubles or triples and the climb is about 500 feet/min.  I don't take fat boys...or girls...on hot days.

Edited by tcj
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

tcj,

I always wonder when I see a silver fabric plane - Is that a silver finish paint, or the silver UV buterate?

Nice looking bird!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm using Poly Fiber, so no flammable butyrate for me.  However, I have learned that the aluminum content of the Poly Spray (silver coat) is the same for "Nevada Silver" Poly Tone paint.  The aluminum content is what makes 'Spray the UV barrier.

In planning to keep my plane light, i will only use one coat of the 'Spray before going to the Nevada Silver 'Tone to keep the weight down.

The 'Spray is the sand-able layer.  So if sanding out sins is needed, more needs to be applied.

post-36-0-98071200-1426996154_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Larry,

Been out of school too long - Thought Nitrate was the flammable, and usually a first coat followed by buterate - and Poly spray was buterate? I am really considering Superflight System 7.

Nice design.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The Poly Fiber system is based on vinyl dissolved in Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone.  Other additives for the different layers, like powdered aluminum in the 'Spray (among other things) but basically they are all vinyl in MEK.

No nitrate or butyrate.   

Posted

From what little I have read about Superflight, it says the primer is the liquid version of the fabric we use (Dacron?) - System 6 did not have the UV in the primer, and it was in the topcoats - System 7 has the UV in the primer.

All I know about chemistry, is that Pepsi tastes good with most any thing, and so does Bud Lite!

EDMO

Posted

i am curious about superflight also,That's what My challenger has on it, it has some cracks in the paint. But it was painted in 1996 so it has done well.  I would be happy with it.

Posted

Ed, my kitfox paint is Polytone Nevada Silver over three Cross coats of polyspray on the top surfaces and two cross coats of poly spray on the bottom surfaces.  The Nevada Silver is much more shiny than Polyspray when you see the two side by side.

Posted

Very nice TJ. Kudos and thx for sharing.

Posted

I've always admired your paint scheme, sounds like you are ready for summer now. Some where I read a survey of Kitfox owners that suggested the vast majority fly solo not out of engine choice necessity but, rather, they simply preferred to spontaneously jump in and go!