Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Seat Back Ferry Tank

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone installed a large ferry tank behind the seat on their Avid/Kitfox? I am thinking of one plumbed exactly like the small header tank, but perhaps as large as 10 to 13 gallons, depending on tank shape and available space back there. Learning from one who has done it already would be a real help. Thanks!

Posted

A friend of mine put in a 5 gallon plastic tank behind the seat on his Avid A model. He uses an electric pump to transfer the fuel to the front tank. He bought the tank, but I don't remember where right now. One big concern is the tank getting in the way of the flaperon control rods when you fold the wings. Less of a concern if you never fold the wings. Just went looking for the pics I took of that tank, and it looks like he does unhook his flaperon control rod to fold his wings. Jim Chuk

post-329-0-81672500-1425478843_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-94072700-1425478856_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I had thought of something similar when/if I do a longer cross country. My thought was to put it up front on the right side of my KF to lessen the aft CG effect.

Posted (edited)

That looks like a 5-gal fuel jug. Steve Winder told me they fit damn near perfect in an Avid, and it sure looks like that's true from those photos. They can be found in different sizes and vent configurations and are made to dump fuel quick, I bought some from Summit Racing years ago after I got frustrated with the new spill-proof caps on poly gas containers. Another idea might be those Roto-Pac (sp?) poly fuel cells that attach to a mounting cradle that attaches to your ATV rack (or fuse tubing?).

PS - found a pic in my files on how one guy fabricated a large aluminum tank to sit in the baggage area, would personally be suspect of CG without a Sube upfront or a non-stretched Avid.

Edit to 'fix' spell check by iPad and add pic

post-53-0-67453200-1425489436.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

I was looking at my flaperon control rods and thinking if I put rod ends on them like the kit fox 4s and later do and just unhook them when folding the wings I could get a much larger baggage area back there with a nice solid floor, that's a thought too. I guess I cold also just unhook the ones I got too. If you were to put a fuel cell back there you might have to do the same.

Posted (edited)

If you are solo - why not strap a big tank in the right seat? - 170 lbs for a passenger equals almost 30 gallons of gas, and not worry about controls / CG.

When you get my age, you need a piss-tube installed for more than a 5 gallon trip! :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Great info, thanks guys.

Posted (edited)

Check out the plastic boat tanks like West Marine, Cabellas, BassPro has in their catalog.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

anybody know where you can buy a header tank that is a bit cheaper than kitfox ones, Man I really gotta sit down and figure out my Tig welder.

Posted

Avid Flyers had a kindof simple header tank.  It's an aluminum tube 2"  0r 2 1/2" diameter and about 18" long.  Capped off top and bottom, two fittings on the top (one fuel inlet, one vent line)  one fitting about 4" up from the bottom on the side (fuel out) and one fitting on the bottom for a drain.  Because the fuel goes out on the side, the tank acts as a filter and gascolator as well.  It would be a lot easier to build than the kitfox style tank.  If you want, I can get a picture for you to look at.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

The plastic tank off of a riding tractor/lawnmower like mine should make a header tank - it has the outlet, and I guess you could seal the cap and tap it for your inlet and vent line fittings - Just a thought - and it holds more gas than Kitfox or Avid. Check out boat, ATV, motorcycle tanks too.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri