Avid model C turtle deck pictures needed...

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all I'm working on a recently purchased avid model c and currently working on the turtle deck. Unfortunately my manual does not tell me where to rivet the stiffeners to the turtle deck. Can someone direct me with some photos or info?

Thanks much,

Bill

Edited by William Davis
1 person likes this

Posted

I can take photos of mine this weekend but I am not sure if that will help. My hangar mate also has a C model and his stiffeners are located differently than mine. Mine may have been altered by the original builder to install large windows in the turtle deck.

I actually want to replace my turtle deck with a single piece tinted lexan part like I have seen others do.

Dan

1 person likes this

Posted

I have one in the backyard from my barn find. I will post pics tomorrow too when it's daylight.

Posted

I don't know much about the different Avid models, but from what I have read, you might be a lot happier with the full Lexan or at least the solid Lexan top - I've heard lots of comments about the ones with hinges leaking.

EDMO

Posted

I can take photos of mine this weekend but I am not sure if that will help. My hangar mate also has a C model and his stiffeners are located differently than mine. Mine may have been altered by the original builder to install large windows in the turtle deck.

I actually want to replace my turtle deck with a single piece tinted lexan part like I have seen others do.

Hi Dan thanks for the response. If you could post a few pics that would be great!

Dan

I have one in the backyard from my barn find. I will post pics tomorrow too when it's daylight.

That would be very much appreciated! :)

I don't know much about the different Avid models, but from what I have read, you might be a lot happier with the full Lexan or at least the solid Lexan top - I've heard lots of comments about the ones with hinges leaking.EDMO

Hi EDMO ive considered going full lexan but decided that will add extra time and money and I really want to fly. Perhaps I will do that as a mod once flying.

Thanks for all the responses,

Bill

Posted

My MKIV had an aluminium TD with a small window in each half. While it looked nice, the windows did little but let light into the baggage compartment.

My Magnum had a lexan TD. it looked awesome, but really did nothing to help visibility and definitely contributed to the sweat box effect of the plane when flying in the sun. i found that I needed to put shades overhead and do everything I could to not be fried in the sun with all that glass.

lexan is also much heavier than aluminium. If it were me I would go solid (but thin) AL TD and get sun shades for directly overhead that you can put up when flying in the sun.

The most beneficial thing I did to both the MKIV and Magnum was to replace the aluminium door bottoms with lexan. What a huge difference in visability during flight and landing. Just a HUGE improvement and a real pleasure compared to the metal bottom doors. Adding door bottom glass does not really tend to add heat to the cockpit on sunny days either.

My 2 cents, but I do have 1700 hours flying around in these things, a lot of it in the sun.

Chris

Posted (edited)

Chris,

I agree on the heat from the sun down here - That's why I recommend a light tinted TD, and a dark tinted Skylight. I put the dark bronze sunroof and light bronze tinted windows on my Ercoupe, and it made a world of difference.

Of course, the low wings did not shade the windows like the AvidFoxes.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Hi all I'm working on a recently purchased avid model c and currently working on the turtle deck. Unfortunately my manual does not tell me where to rivet the stiffeners to the turtle deck. Can someone direct me with some photos or info?
Thanks much,
Bill[/quote

Here is a photo of page from the D manual (should have said MK IV) and this is how I did mine.

post-267-0-27349000-1424531668_thumb.jpe

Edited by Paul S

Posted

Thanks Paul exactly what I needed! :)

Bill

Posted

Here's a few pics hope they help.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here's a few pics hope they help.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Perfect! That helped me really visualize where they go. My kit is also missing the pieces that mount inside the turtle deck and fuse that captures the Flaperon tube. Do you know what material and diameter they are made from?

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by William Davis

Posted

walmart has them in the cooking section. there the white cutting boards i think they are either the 1/8th inch thick ones or the 1/4 inch thick ones.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep, I made new ones a couple yeas ago that I got in the aircraft section at the local grocery store.  Teflon cutting boards work perfect or is you can get some UHMW that will work as well.

Joey, I like the skylight in that turtle deck I will have to do that on mine.  I have thought about doing it 100 times, but seeing pics of how someone else did it helps!

:BC:

Posted

Thanks guys do you know if they are 1/4" or 1/8"?

Thanks

Bill

Posted

Bill,

I don't think it matters much - My Kitfox ones were 1/4 or 3/8 - Guess thicker might be better if it works, but don't see why the thinner wouldn't work, except it wears faster.

My book says to finish the fit with a file, as the tube goes thru at an angle - not too loose, or too tight - just a light pressure on tube.

EDMO

Posted

The windows on Joey's TD are EXACTLY the same as the ones on my MKIV. The look awesome, but contribute nothing functionally (unless you install a small rear view mirrior for taxiing) and they add to the weight.

Just sayin......

Posted (edited)

I thought all planes had a mirror so you could see the F-16s coming up behind you! :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Only the old 150s!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

And, anything I can put one in, like Kitfox, Ercoupe - Yes, I was trained in the old 150, 172,182, etc. Instructors kept bitching because the runway was not dead-centered behind me on takeoff - the compass don't keep you centered, so I used the mirror a lot! It's also good to watch the hot rod who took off right behind you. Of course, bush flyers don't have that problem!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Bill,I don't think it matters much - My Kitfox ones were 1/4 or 3/8 - Guess thicker might be better if it works, but don't see why the thinner wouldn't work, except it wears faster.My book says to finish the fit with a file, as the tube goes thru at an angle - not too loose, or too tight - just a light pressure on tube.EDMO

Hi Ed thanks for the info.

Bill

Posted

Bill,

That's the good part of experimental - use what you've got, what you can get, whatever works!

EDMO

Posted

I would just add that although I do not have a ton of hours in the Avid yet I do like the rear windows. I occasionally fly places with one of the other guys at my airport and we do not fly formation. I am able to spot him through the rear windows when I am looking for him on the occasion that he is behind me to the right. I also have those clear round pop out vents in each window because it can get a little warm in the summer down here along the Texas Gulf Coast. Those allow the pop out vents in the door windows to pass more air. I will be replacing all lexan soon with a light grey tinted version and the door bottoms will be switching to lexan as well. The other Avid recently added windows to his turtle deck. He was not able to see me if I was coming up on his right side.

I do have a Grumman Yankee and that definitely gets warm if the canopy is left closed. Opening it several inches up to halfway cools things down nicely though.

Dan

Posted

I was fortunate recently to spot an item on clearence at a local "discount" retailer. No, the store name does not begin with the letter W. It is roll of cling type window film. 28"X78" and 20% VLT. The tint color is gray. $6.49 :news:

post-1044-0-81438500-1424907298_thumb.jp

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I bet the stores that do start with W also have that stuff. :siterocks:

Edited by TJay

Posted

I was fortunate recently to spot an item on clearence at a local "discount" retailer. No, the store name does not begin with the letter W. It is roll of cling type window film. 28"X78" and 20% VLT. The tint color is gray. $6.49 :news:

post-1044-0-81438500-1424907298_thumb.jp

I have clear poly now and I'm looking at tint film options for my skylight and T-deck windows. Did you install the film on the in or outside? How'd this particular brand/style of tint film work?