Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My new Tail

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well this was Saturdays work this weekend, I made some tail formers and glued them in place. I know extra weight in the tail, but I think it will look nice. I haven't done the elevator yet because I think I will stretch it out a couple inches.

post-999-0-86762200-1424036037_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-22990500-1424036067_thumb.jpg

Edited by TJay

Posted

Very nice! Yes definitely stretch the elevator and I would seriously consider adding a trim tab as well. I recently just did this mod on my B model Avid and after 350 hrs and many changes the trim was by far the best thing I ever did to it.

Posted

/\  /\  X2  Put the elevator trim on it while your stretching it. 

:BC:

Posted

So what do you guys do, run a control cable up front or do you put a servo motor in the back or what.

Posted

I have a ray allen servo in the back.  I think Joey does as well.

Posted

John Stoner made a trim system for his Mod III that used a little lever next to the flap handle and a thatching spring off a mower blade that was attached to the elevator push rod.  It was simple and took all the stick pressure off as well.  I think there are pics of it on here, if not I will see if I can dig some up.

Edited and put the pic in here.

post-2-0-67011900-1424130390_thumb.jpg

I think you can study the pic and figure out what is going on there.  If not, I can try to explain it to ya.  the spring is just stiff enough to take the force off the stick to trim it, but very easy to still use full stick deflection.

Posted

sure I get it, real similar to the aero trim system made by sonex aircraft I have one of those sitting on the shelf.

1 person likes this

Posted

That ray Allen servo looks sweet, where are you guys mounting it, Im not sure it will fit in my elevator with out bulging the fabric down, are you mounting it on the outside?

Posted

mine has a little streamline cover over it not sure if its factory avid or kitfox ray allen maybe

Posted

TJay,

I have the electric servo mounted in a stripped Kitfox 1 elevator - It mounts inside, and the rod goes outside to the trim tab - there is a cover for the rod that you can use like the covers on the rudder cables where they exit the fuselage.

Two angle brackets are used to mount it inside.

When I can get out of the warm house and walk thru the devastating 3 inches of snow, I could post a photo for you. I plan to use cable on the new one.

EDMO

Posted

That would be great ed thanks Is that servo for sale then if your not going to use it.

Posted (edited)

Donno - would need to test it to see if it still works.

BTW: In Kitfox 4 manual is some drawings - there is also an inspection / access cover that goes on the top between the wood ribs you are installing. 4 little angles riveted to the ribs.

Maybe I can post the drawings in Files and Forms under Electric Elevator Trim, 9 pages?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri