Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid B model to MK4 Elevator upgrade

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I just got my elevator back from Highwing LLC today. I had it exteneded to the Mark 4 dimensions which is almost 4" more chord as well as installing a Ray Allen trim system. Can't wait to test fly it. Hoping to complete the bulk of the install this weekend. Will report back with a PIREP.

Lowell Fitt did all the work. He powerdercoated the metal after the extension and did all the work you see in the pic. He also covered and painted the final product. I am VERY impressed with his craftmanship.

IMG_0489.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Let us know Joey, I would like to extend mine as well!!

Posted

Lowell does VERY nice work.  Great attention to detail which is something I see lacking in a lot in the kit world.  I was not too impressed with the louver kit they put out though... nice parts, but they come in a box of a millionm parts and you have to put all the louvers on the actuating rods etc.  I would have paid more money for the part had it been assembled or partially assembled.  Nice parts, but there was more work to put it together than me or bob felt like doing at the time.

:BC:

Posted

Leni,

When you talk about a louver kit are you refering to radiator louvers?   

Posted

Yes, they made a kit for the belly radiators on the kitfox. 

Posted

Made lots of progess on this project today. I got the elevator installed, wiring ran, fairings built and painted, and a few other odds and ends. This elevator looks pretty huge. The fairings are made by RANS and they slip over the tube. They are size specific. The ones I used for the Horizontal Stab struts are RANS Part # JS-FAIR. A 5ft piece was $18. It took both 5ft pieces to do this project. I cut the tapered ends with a good pair of scissors and just rattle canned em. I just finished up making a spot in the panel for the rocker switch and LED indicator. Should hopefully have it going this week sometime. One queston for those with the Ray Allen system can I use the same power (and breaker/fuse) and ground for the switch and LED indicator? Otherwise it's almost 10 wires to run between the two and the servo.

IMG_5610-1.jpg

IMG_5611-3.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5618-1.jpg

IMG_5620-1.jpg

Posted

The Ray Allen servo uses a 5 wire bundled cable AS #11-01577 for 20 ft roll with other lengths available.

Posted

I have the full bundle I just don't want to make 2 more power and grounds. My bus is already out of room

Posted

I ran mine together.

Posted

Gonna need a bigger rudder now. :wink, wink:

Posted

Hey Joey looks good. Will this have much affect on CG? Sure will be a nice upgrade. Looks like they did a very nice job on the covering etc. How soon till flight test?

Posted

I am not worried about the CG. My airplane is nose heavy due to the E gearbox and dual radiators. On my w and b spreadsheet I was able to put 30 lbs directly on the tailwheel and still be well within limits. After I do my side radiator delete and go to my new gear I plan to re do my w and b.

Posted

Nice! Sounds like this will improve the WB situation.This thing has come a long way since you got it.

Posted

you do a WB??? I thought that was something one stopped doing about 3 minutes after they passed the PPL check ride :lol:  I do know that if I cant pick the tail of the Avid up, I should probly take some of the crap out of the extended baggage area that runs to the tail :lol:

In all seriousness... remember the golden rule folks, a nose heavy airplane flys poorly... a tail heavy airplane flys once.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just making sure I have all my bases covered here. Does anyone know if they changed the elevator linkage on the MK4? Seems the heavier elevator and more surface area is gonna put more strain on the linkage. It seems plenty beef but that thing failing right at the fork where the threads are is one thing that has always concerned me a little bit.

Posted

My buddies 4 was the same as my c model.

Posted

Finally finished up this project tonight. Was going to test fly but while under the panel doing wiring I noticed a couple of The Lord mounts that hold my panel on were cracked and sagging. Well all but one was broke off. One good shitty landing and I may have gotten my panel in my lap!

post-40-0-02468000-1412131198_thumb.jpg

Posted

Joey I had the same issue.  I used mounts from Mcmaster Carr to replace mine.  20% of the cost of Lord mounts.  Same fit and function except the threaded ends are 1/8" longer and need to be cut down on the front side to allow use of acorn nuts to secure panel.  Also the material is steel instead of brass if that matters to you.

McMaster p/n:

9376K15  (7 lb) I used these across the top on the panel.  $1.57 each

9376K17  (20 lb) I used these across the bottom for more shear strength.  $1.97 each

They have about 30 hours on them and my panel is solid as can be.

Posted

Where were you yesterday? Haha I just paid $7.95 a piece for 4 of them from Spruce ouch

Posted

BEST MOD EVER!

Posted

Very cool!! Can you tell us more?

Posted

I assume a successful test flight!  Congrats!

Posted

Yes a great flight! Sorry I was at the hangar on my phone and excited. So today I went out and started by washing the plane it was covered in hangar dust pretty bad. I then put in some fresh fuel, vacuumed the metal shavings off the floor, and replaced all my panel mounts which was a PIA to get to the nuts on the left side where all the instruments are. Some 6" harbor freight needle nose  and a telescoping magnet saved the day.

I set the trim tab just slight nose up for takeoff and broke ground and stayed about 20 ft over our 4700ft runway and made sure everything felt right and then climbed to pattern altitude. On downwind I did some pitch changes and it felt great so I left the pattern and went to 2000 and did some testing. The trim tab has plenty of authority! The pitch felt way more solid . It was slightly heavier but not enough to really be noticeable. I did about 10 stalls power on and off and the difference is amazing. It will make a noticeable shutter and break now where before it just got mushy and started descending. I put in 10 gallons of fresh fuel today so I had 21 gallons on board and it was 94 degrees and it was stalling NOTICEABLY slower than before.

On approach with the power at idle before if I let go of the stick I was a straight up lawn dart it wanted to head to the earth NOW. Today with just a quick blip of the switch I was able to fly a hands off approach no problem.

I did 3 stop and goes and was able to lift the tail and sit still while holding the brakes. Before even at full power the tail wouldn't budge. Overall I am VERY pleased with this modification. Time to get my TK1 Racing gear on so I can utilize the slower approach capability. I hit tail first on every landing today and wasn't even feeling like I was getting very slow. I think there is a lot more potential there with a higher AOA.

Posted

So Joey,

VG's on wings next?

Dave

Posted

Thanks for the report Joey. It's fun to hear stories from you guys that have flying planes. Helps with the motivation.