Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking for a good place to buy Aluminum

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for a good place to buy Aluminum here. Need to make my engine plate. specs call for 3/8th"       10/5/8th by 9 inches but all I see in spruce or wicks is up to 1/8 inch thick unless Im blind which has happened before.

Posted

I don't Know if Shapiro Metals in St. Louis will ship a piece, but think they might. They cut to order, and I buy almost all my steel and aluminum there.

EDMO

Posted

You might try these guys if you can't find anywhere else.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1249&step=4&showunits=inches&id=76&top_cat=60

I've bought from them several times, and I've been happy. I assumed you were looking for 6061 T6 since it's the most common. The thicker plates only seem to come in T651, but from what I understand, that's preferable to T6 anyway because it removes internal stressed caused by the tempering process.

Posted

You could try either onlinemetals.com or speedymetals.com if you want it shipped. If you get to Sioux Falls or Sioux City you should be able to find a steel supplier who will work with you.

Posted (edited)

Tjay,

What about calling Kitfox and see if they will sell you that aluminum plate - might be cheaper than buying the material and getting it machined? But then again, its Kitfox!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

ya know this is amazing I did look at those two webpages and found just what I needed for 42 bucks, but didn't buy it yet because I saw they had an eBay page so I followed the link.  Of course what I needed they didn't have listed but that got me to thinking, I have never looked at metals on eBay, So I typed in 6061-t6 .375 and 100s showed up all over just what I need.  Found a plate just my size under 5 bucks, now the trick here is,  I wonder if it really is 6061 t-6 because the cheap ones don't have a stamp on them but say there 6061 t6. the ones with a stamp are around 40 bucks. Makes a guy wonder doesn't it.

Posted (edited)

Oh yeah Ed, John said they do not really produce many parts for the early kitfoxes anymore. I asked him about the side mount brackets for the 582 to bolt up to a side rail mount, he said they stopped making that stuff. I think they really like the 912 these days.

Edited by TJay

Posted

John scrounged around his old parts last year and found one piece of a Kitfox 5 Grove gear mount that I needed.

EdmO