Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moved the plane today

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Do to the lack of snow at the local airport, I moved the bird to a buddy's house. The ice is over 24" thick but still no snow cover, just frost on the lake.

:BC:

post-2-0-09423100-1421086214_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-38209200-1421086245_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Wow. I guess we are colder and snowy-er than Alaska again this year...

I haven't seen my plane in over a month due to the extreme cold and snow around here.

Posted

Better hope it don't turn bitter cold - Without the snow, underground pipes can freeze a long ways down - We had that in Anchorage one year.

EdMO

Posted

It's 36 degrees today and we are half way through what should be on of the coldest months... doubt we are going to have to worry about frozen pipes this year :lol:

Posted (edited)

It's 36 degrees today and we are half way through what should be on of the coldest months... doubt we are going to have to worry about frozen pipes this year :lol:

If I remember right, We were somewhere are 32F BELOW sometime that winter.  But, twice that cold when I was in Fairbanks.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

36 degrees in AK in January.  Dang, maybe I need to buy a store selling freezers up there, you may need them! :-)

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

If you bought a snow maker I would pay for ya to go put some on the trails around my cabin so I can ride my darn snogo.. pathetic that I have not put a single mile on my sled yet his year and I normally get in 2-3000 miles a year on

Posted

How about a photo of your sled.  I'd like to know what you guys ride up there and what kind of riding you do.

Posted

How about a photo of your sled.  I'd like to know what you guys ride up there and what kind of riding you do.

Been a few years since we have had enough snow for me to justify buying a newer sled.  As long as the ole crossfire keeps running I will keep riding it.

Most of the the pics are from the area I ride at my cabin in the Caribou Hills.  A wild fire a few years ago really changed the scenery, but spring riding is normally good.  There is NO snow in the areas that are in these pictures right now. 

post-2-0-15397300-1421248715.jpg

post-2-0-60760100-1421248842_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-82417200-1421248862_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-39402600-1421248958_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-26549100-1421248980_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

My old Summit 670 will still take me the places I want to go.  I would probably get in plenty of trouble with a modern snow machine.

post-130-0-05822400-1421252350_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

tcj,

Is that a volcano behind you, or just another big rock? Where?

Flatlander, EdMO

Posted

tcj, the 670 summit is a great machine, but the rider forward position of the newer sleds will do wonders for your knees and back.  The first ride I had on one after switching from the ZR chassis I hated it.. then about 10 miles down the trail I noted that my knees did not hurt.  About 100 miles into the ride I figured out that my back didn't hurt, nor my shoulders.  I can't rail the corners on the crossfire like I can the ZR, but for overall riding, I absolutely love the seating position of the crossfire.  It is not as rider forward as the XP chassis, but I absolutely love it.  If your ever thinking of a newer mountain sled, see if you can find a 07-09 Arctic M8 153.  Prices on them are down a good bit from new (I refuse to pay 14,000 for a new sled) the engine is bullet proof and very linear in power, and the chassis rides stupid easy.  You can do a nasty 4 mile long side hill sitting on the seat not hanging off the running board.  It is just extremely easy to ride and it does well on the trail as well.

Posted

Yes, It's Rainier.

Posted (edited)

Thanks,  thought I recognized it as one of the Big 3, or is it 2 1/2 now that Helen blew her top?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Been a few years since we have had enough snow for me to justify buying a newer sled. As long as the ole crossfire keeps running I will keep riding it.

Most of the the pics are from the area I ride at my cabin in the Caribou Hills. A wild fire a few years ago really changed the scenery, but spring riding is normally good. There is NO snow in the areas that are in these pictures right now.

What size track is that on the Crossfire? I don't think my little 121" track TNT 600 would get out of the parking lot up there...

Hmmm. Crossfire. That sounds like something John Deere would have named a sled...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Deere_snowmobiles

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

My ZR is a 121.  It has been to nome and back on the iron dog.  I take a 121 all over the place, working hard to get it to the top of a mountain is fun sometimes :lol:  The crossfire is a 136X 1.25"  I don't like running much over the 1.25" track on my sleds so I can keep them studded up.  This year, I can ride my daughters kitty cat about any place :lol:  Carbed and clutched that kitty cat will do 12 MPH on the grass with my fat ass on it :lmao:

Posted (edited)

Ed, I think Mt Rainier is the 3rd highest peak in the lower 48. It is Mt Whitney, Mt Elbert then Mt Rainier. I have been lucky, had the pleasure of standing on the summit of all three.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

I thought that Mt. Hood might be among the 3 volcanos - I wasn't talking about Big Rocks - We had to import our gravel for the roads  in the cotton lands - never wanted to climb much after I was 10 years old - fell out of a tree once and got the breath knocked out of me - Then fell off of a cotton trailer and got a concussion - then  I discovered Girls!  I can see the top of the mountain from the pilot's seat, and there is just another big rock.  To each his own!

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Some perspective.  Little Tahoma, that little peak you have seen on the side of rainier, at 11,138 feet elevation is the third highest peak in Washington and just 111 feet lower than Mount Hood 11,249 feet.. 

post-130-0-08305100-1421341149_thumb.jpg

Edited by tcj