Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bad start to the summer

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Well Kenneth was just the start. Since his incident 4 more planes have gone down that I knew either from past fly-ins, clubs, or a forum. Pretty sobering that what we do is inherently dangerous. This weekend there was a fatal in a sky raider at the farm ultralight strip I learned to fly powered parachutes. Guy was 29 with 4 kids and active in the local EAA chapter. A 182 went in at Big Creek in the Idaho Backcountry as well. He made it but was in bad shape by the time they finally got him into a helicopter. Stay safe out there guys!!

Posted

There have been two factory planes and a small - looked like experimental - helicopter, crashed near me.  No one killed - One pilot had let skydivers jump when one of them hit the tail and jammed the controls, and the pilot jumped before the crash.

IMO - The other, a twin Cessna pilot made the classic mistake of trying to get back to the runway after takeoff - He had clear fields on each side of the Interstate, and the highway, to pick from, but tried to make it 90 degrees across the highway and trees back to the airport - If he had not hit the treetops, then the concrete divider on the Interstate would have stopped him quick - He got out before the plane burned.

EDMO

Posted

I sure hate to hear about all of these. I realize more than many how dangerous our chosen profession/passion is. I've lost three engines which have all resulted in off field landings. Two resulted in a very damaged aircraft and the other was an ultralight in the desert. It's never fun to lose an engine and even worse when you're not in a position to land safely on what we mainly consider airfields. Sorry to hear about the guy out there.

Posted (edited)

Just watched Fox News live broadcast as a Beech Bonanza couldn't get one of main gears down - he flew off fuel while trying to get it down, but finally brought all gear up and made a perfect belly landing on concrete - all 4 got out quickly, and no fire - perfect video from side of runway.   I believe I would have chosen the grass, but that was his call.....

EDMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I would have gone for the grass too! 

It is pretty sobering when you start reading about accidents.  We have a huge rash of them every year here at hunting season, partly due to bad weather and bad decision making (yeah, I have never been guilty of that...) but more due to the fact that guys have planes that they only fly 10 or 15 hours a year during hunting season and they sit in the hangar the rest of the year... so we have pilots that are not proficient, bad weather, and planes hauling loads at gross (most of the time over gross).  

I feel rusty when I dont fly for a month and I wont take any passengers up till I have done a few turns around the pattern just to make sure the plane and me is up to speed...  This does not mean I wont have an issue that I have to deal with, but it makes me feel better flying the plane empty and gives the engine an opportunity to tell me if something is wrong with it.  We all know what a difference a passenger makes on the performance of the plane, I would rather try to make the runway with just me in it than to know I wont make the runway with a passenger.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

As far as taking the grass VS the runway: Almost always it's safer to take the hard surface. From NTSB statistics it shows there is a much higher survivability rate and less damage when the gear is up on hard surface than soft. Many times the planes end up on their top when it comes to grass. Hard to believe, but evidently the coefficient of drag on grass and maybe a not so smooth surface versus a smooth runway lets itself better to the black stuff.

Years ago where I did my flight training they had a 210 Cessna that wouldn't drop one of the main gear. After four hours of calls with the NTSB, FAA and Cessna, everyone confirmed to pull the remaining gear up and put it on the center line. It was uneventful and the plane flew again after a rebuilt. 

I heard there was another wreck in Northwestern Arkansas this week too. Haven't looked into the details yet, but I used to fly from that field and hope it wasn't an old student.

Be safe my friends!

In other news, I flew my Teenie Two for the first time since November. It was the first flight I've taken since the accident. I only did two circuits in the pattern but it was 75 degrees and low overcast and smooth! Felt good to get back on that horse.

Posted (edited)

Kenneth,  There was an ultralight that went down near you ( In Illinois ) early this week - no other reports, but looked like the bird suffered a broken wing - believe no injuries.   Guessing engine out?

The Cessna on I-364 (Page extension) took off from Creve Couer and was probably right next to the old - closed - Arrowhead airport.   I used to fly out of both of them.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

http://cw33.com/2014/06/30/aerobatic-pilot-dies-while-performing-stunts/

This happened in my neck of the woods recently. I look at people like this and sometimes think that I have no business in a plane. If a proficient pilot like this can make a mistake and had this outcome, the odds of me making a mistake are almost guaranteed.  But I rationalize with the fact that he was doing aerobatics and I don't, and he was in a high performance airplane that is probably more unforgiving than my Kitfox, so that makes it digestible, somewhat. Still a sad, sad thing for his family. I have not flown in several months and I get nervous on these hiatuses. I try to get pattern time in once or twice a week but this past several months have been bad with the wind, Ex-Wife, Kids, Ex-Wife, Work, Ex-Wife, House repairs, Ex-Wife, ....if only I could get rid of one thing? Hmmm. Anyway, anybody else have a remedies for the flying hiatus butterflies?

Posted

An acquaintance of mine was killed on July 4th by a drunk driver while riding his motor scooter.  Life isn't safe, live it while you can!

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'd rather die trying to live,

Than live trying not to die.

- Leonard Perry

Life is risky.  We all take risks every day.  Managing these risks is what it is all about.  I choose to take some risks to enjoy life.  The level of risk I take is probably pretty tame for some of you and off the charts for some others.

Remember, statistically you are more likely to be killed driving to the airport than flying from it.

My heart goes out to those who have lost friends and loved ones in the air.  I have.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

If you cant go flying, then at least go to the airport and talk about flying - maybe do that on here? - If no one is at the airport, then talk to your plane and maybe give it some TLC until the wind suits you.

You got to know your limitations for safe flight.

When I was a young pilot doing my commercial training, the airport rented a Cessna 150 to me when there was 45 - 50 knot winds to scout a forest fire and look for some lost horses - Today, I wouldn't even think of doing that.  The day before that, my instructor and I flew the same plane backwards the length of the runway in the same winds.

They tell me that in Kansas the wind gauge is a log chain tied to a stump - If the chain is blowing straight out, then it is too windy to fly!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri