Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tail skid needed

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone have an old tail spring laying around for an avid they would let go cheap?

I need to put something on the tail of my Tri gear and I'm thinking this would work the best.

Travis

Posted

can't help with the tail spring but would recommend if you have any local metal recyclers in your area the ones around here have a section of good used metal that they sell for scrap prices back to you. if so you can probably find what you need for a buck or so. small enough piece and they will probably just give it to you. 

Posted

My Aerotrek has a fiberglass tail skid. It broke.

1 person likes this

Posted

I like the combination of the eye-bolt and a Cessna type spring leaf tailskid - you get security for tie-down, and a lot of noise when the tail gets too close to the concrete or rocks.   The aluminum spring used on some Kitfoxes is good too.

EdMO

Posted

I'd like to find an old spring/skid so I can slip a caster wheel onto it before I fold the wings on my tri-gear. That way I can roll it around with the wings folded.

1 person likes this

Posted

Why not just leave the tailwheel on?

EDMO

Posted

The spring is nothing to special. A piece of old trailer spring cut to the right length. Use the hole where the center bolt went through. A good bit and slow drilling speed will drill through spring steel. Use a grinder to shape the sides where it fits into the saddle. Probably take an hour for everything if you have a basic workshop. B