Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid 912 Radiator scoop/shroud info needed

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone have one of these laying around for sale or have the dimensions so one can be made? I've contacted Ron Smith and he may have the mold to make one but a couple close up pics. would really help so he's not making the wrong part.

Thanks to Paul for one of the pics.

post-379-0-89229600-1389475472_thumb.jpg

post-379-0-93838100-1389475503_thumb.jpg

Posted

Birddog,  Sorry about knocking you off of the top of the posts - but I had to put in the 2nd page of Pazmany gear book.

Now you will be back on top.

EDMO

Posted

That looks like the same one used on the back of a 582 radiator.. if it is, I contacted Ron a few days ago and he said he didn't have the mold.  Maybe he just did not know what to look for :dunno:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

If this is the one for the flat-mounted rad, Kitfox sells one for $168 that fits the 582 and 912 rads.

part # 69137.

prices may have gone up - my book is 2 years old.

EDMO

Whoops - had not looked at your photos - was talking about the flat mount under belly - nothing like photos -

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I have mine off and can take a picture when I get out to the hangar.  It really did not work that good (low airflow) with the 912 radiator because the air wants to take the path of least resistance thru the rest of the radiator.  I am planning a separate dedicated opening below the radiator. 

Posted

Knowing nothing about this setup - I don't see where it would be effective.

I think there are better ways to get the air thru the rad.

EDMO

Posted

Knowing nothing about this setup - I don't see where it would be effective.

I think there are better ways to get the air thru the rad.

EDMO

Ed this takes preheated air from the radiator, sends it around the exhaust and is used for carb and cabin heat.

Posted

I have mine off and can take a picture when I get out to the hangar.  It really did not work that good (low airflow) with the 912 radiator because the air wants to take the path of least resistance thru the rest of the radiator.  I am planning a separate dedicated opening below the radiator. 

Glad you chimed in Paul, I better rethink this if it wasn't working well for you.

Posted

Sorry I jumped in before looking closer - After a night in the hospital for CO poisoning, I am a dedicated hot-water heat pilot - Just don't trust the exhaust for breathing fresh air.

EDMO

Posted

While I can respect your position on that one... I have a different story.. I was flying back from the lodge and started feeling a bit goofy.. It seemed the engine has a slightly different sound to it but all systems were in the green and normal so I didn't pay it much attention.  As I felt myself getting goofier I happened to catch my CO indicator out of the corner of my eye and it was blacker than the ace of spades.  It was -30 outside but I had no choice as I was over the inlet so I opened the door and let the fresh air in and shut off the exhaust supplied cabin heat.  It was a rather chilly flight home for the next 45 minutes or so, but I didn't have much better options.  Turns out, there was nothing wrong with the muffler heat, but two of the exhaust springs had broken and it allowed the elbow joint to open up and it was leaking around the boot cowl to firewall seal right into the cockpit.  so far I have never had a CO leak in the heat muff in any of the planes I have flown (knock on wood).  I am anal about having a CO detector in the cockpit of any plane I fly now and I keep a spare in the flight bag in case a borrowed plane does not have one in it already.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I totally agree on the CO detector - a cheap one is better than nothing - a trip to the hospital or worse is certainly more costly than the most expensive detector.  And, I have seen several cracked mufflers.  The worst I have seen was a cracked heat exchanger of a gas heater on a C-47 - nearly killed the whole crew!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri