5500 rpm is scary sounding

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Started up my rotax 582. 5500 rpm is spinning very fast. Kind of scary. :( Hope I get used to that kind of rpm. Waiting for something to fly apart.

Do any of the other 582 owners have the same feeling?

Posted

I started out flying in ultralights with 2 stroke engines and that high rpm was "normal". First 2 Avids also were 2 strokes, then I put a Jabiru enigne in the first MK IV and cruising at 26-2800 seemed just fine and not taxing the engine at all. That plane is still waiting on the repairs from the emergency landing I had to make with it. The MK IV I bought last sping has a 582 in it, and it did feel kind of funny running it up to the high 2 stroke RPMs, but you get used to it after a while. I still like to cruise in the low 5000s for RPM though. When I think that the RPM is to high, I think about the RPM these nearly same engines run in snowmobiles and then it doesn't seem so bad. I think it's all what you get used to. Some guys cruise at 6000 RPM and think nothing of it. Take care, Jim Chuk

Started up my rotax 582. 5500 rpm is spinning very fast. Kind of scary. :(/> Hope I get used to that kind of rpm. Waiting for something to fly apart.

Posted

Started up my rotax 582. 5500 rpm is spinning very fast. Kind of scary. :(/> Hope I get used to that kind of rpm. Waiting for something to fly apart.

I sure did! you'll get used to it.

Posted

I have an in-flight adjustable pitch propeller on mine and quite honestly it does not rev up to 6800 RPMs fast enough for take off for me!!!! i like the high rpm's reminds me of a turbine! You'll get used to it, Bryce

Posted

I got used to it right quick. It's the sound of a fast launch and great climb out.

Posted

What are you using for a tach? Are you sure your turning 5500? When alone I run mine at 5600-5800. When I am chasing a group faster than me Ill run it at 6000. It burns up some fuel though doing that.

Posted

What are you using for a tach? Are you sure your turning 5500? When alone I run mine at 5600-5800. When I am chasing a group faster than me Ill run it at 6000. It burns up some fuel though doing that.

I am using the MGL Avionics Tach RV-1. Cost $250.00 bucks. I do have a backup so I know the rpm is accurate.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

A 912 4-stroke just purrrrrrrrs at 5500 rpm... :buttrock:

Edited by Av8r3400