Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Show me your throttle setup

15 posts in this topic

Posted

The throttle set up on my avid works, but I have seen a few (Joeys comes to mind) that are custom and look like they work much smoother than the original Avid set up. The ones for the kitfox that go under the dash look sweet and they work alot smoother than mine. If you have a custom throttle set up that works good for you, post up a picture of it. No need for me to reinvent the wheel, although I can if need be.

Besides that, I enjoy seeing the creativity of others and the custom work they do on the planes.

:BC:

Posted

I'm using the same in both my planes.

The goofy belcrank vernier system my yellow plane had sucked big time. I replaced it this past summer.

Posted

I'm using the same in both my planes.

The goofy belcrank vernier system my yellow plane had sucked big time. I replaced it this past summer.

That is what I am fighting on mine. The bellcrank sucks. The kitfox one worked alot better than the avid one. I wonder if it was different that the 912 set up you have. Do you still have the old bellcrank from your plane Larry??

I am kind of lost on that setup. How does it not work backwards? Is the reverse mechanism inside the sleeve there or do you have to mount it goofy? Do you have a slide carb that the cables go into the top of on the 912? I am just trying to visualize how that dual system works.

Thanks guys

Posted

Leni,

What do you mean by the Avid belcrank system; is that the L shaped throttle arm witht the heim joint on one end, pivot bolt at the elbow, and the vertical tube with the slots cut for the throttle cables on the other? I had to weld another vertical tube in the right position for my Avid+ but it seems to work fine for me. I have the venier throttle.

The 912 carbs (Bing 64's) are the same as I have on my Subie; they are set up with spring to go to full throttle and the cables pull them off of full throttle; that could be why they look backwards. I understand the thought behind that arrangement but I just didn't like it so I changed mine to pull the throttles on like the 2 stroke rotaxes.

Posted

I had this pic in my photos of a 912 setup, it's not my plane. The verticle cable is for the choke, the horizontal cable is the throttel. Back of the engine is on the left. Take care, Jim Chuk

I am kind of lost on that setup. How does it not work backwards? Is the reverse mechanism inside the sleeve there or do you have to mount it goofy? Do you have a slide carb that the cables go into the top of on the 912? I am just trying to visualize how that dual system works.

Thanks guys

:BC:/>

Posted

this is what mine looks like. It is just a straight arm that pivots on a bolt and the vernier throttle hooks into the bottom side. I am thinking a set up that rides on a bearing and then using the three into one throttle setup from the carbs to the swing arm. The rout the vernier cable has to take now put some pretty sharp bends in it and its just not very smooth.

post-2-13564031840106_thumb.jpg

Posted

I found that I had a few pics of the factory throttel set up for the 582 on my latest Avid MK IV. My first MK IV was like this as well. It seems to work just fine as far as I can see. Smooth operation and all. Take care, Jim Chuk

this is what mine looks like. It is just a straight arm that pivots on a bolt and the vernier throttle hooks into the bottom side. I am thinking a set up that rides on a bearing and then using the three into one throttle setup from the carbs to the swing arm. The rout the vernier cable has to take now put some pretty sharp bends in it and its just not very smooth.

:BC:/>

post-329-13564119748338_thumb.jpg

post-329-13564119918695_thumb.jpg

post-329-13564120106227_thumb.jpg

post-329-13564120262854_thumb.jpg

Posted

Jim,

Thanks for the pics, that is perfect! That looks much better than the setup I have now. I like that short straight shot for the vernier cable and not the twisted up routing that mine has now!

Posted (edited)

Glad I could help! Should be fairly easy to come up with most of the parts. Sounds like the second poster in this thread (birdog) might even have them. I think my system was standard on the MK IV. Someone going to a 912 would probably go with the dual cable approach that the link in birddog's post shows as the carbs are on oposite sides of the engine. My system of course has all 3 cables (2 carbs pluss oil injection) routed to the right side of the plane. Take care, Jim Chuk

Jim,

Thanks for the pics, that is perfect! That looks much better than the setup I have now. I like that short straight shot for the vernier cable and not the twisted up routing that mine has now!

:BC:/>/>

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

The belcrank setup like Jim showed is [edit: ALSO] for the KF 2,3,4 two-stroke FWF, same as I had in my KF3. The KF4 912 FWF uses a totally different belcrank setup, or the twin cable throttle from Spruce. Pics are my KF4-1200 w/ 912 FWF throttle belcrank.

post-53-1356488875434_thumb.jpg

post-53-13564888884378_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

Jim is correct. I have the exact setup that his photos show from a Model C Avid. The vernier throttle and the bellcrank with a rod end. They are available if your interested.

Edited by birddog486

Posted

My set up is just like Jim's except I just used 2 cables for the Bing 64's and with no oil injection needed. It is simple and works great. Makes me wonder why KF went to such a complicated and heavier sytem for the 912 models:huh:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif">. Must be that fail to full throttle system.

Posted

IMG_4501-1_zps583c27c0.jpg

IMG_4500-1_zps29a663ef.jpg

Posted (edited)

I found that I had a few pics of the factory throttel set up for the 582 on my latest Avid MK IV. My first MK IV was like this as well. It seems to work just fine as far as I can see. Smooth operation and all. Take care, Jim Chuk

does anyone happen to have a length or even a part number for this throttle cable setup by chance? I want to upgrade to this system soon and am not around my airframe to get any measurements at the moment and was hoping to put in an order today.

Thanks Robert

EDIT: just to be clear I'm referring to the one with the bell crank being located under the instrument panel.

Edited by High Country