Mk IV belly pan

13 posts in this topic

Posted

OK I guess that my age is catching up with me but I am getting ready to install my belly pan on my MK IV with the the 912 so I open the manual for a little guidance and found the one liner "install the belly pan". With the earlier models, tail dragger this will be enough, one flat piece of metal that mounts flat on the underside of the fuselage. With the MK IV there are the support tubes for the nose gear that monkey up the operation.

So I am wondering how other builders have approached this installation. The other thing is that the firewall hangs down about 4" below the fuselage so did you attach the belly pan to the bottom of the firewall and warp the metal over the top of the nose gear bracing with the two pieces supplied or attach the belly pan in four or more pieces to the bottom of the fuselage or are there other options that I am not seeing. If anyone has a picture that would also be very helpful.

Paul S in Wy

Posted

I can't answer your question but I'm glad you asked it. I was just looking at the two belly sheets I have for my model c a couple days ago and wondering the best way to install them around the lower gear supports.

OK I guess that my age is catching up with me but I am getting ready to install my belly pan on my MK IV with the the 912 so I open the manual for a little guidance and found the one liner "install the belly pan". With the earlier models, tail dragger this will be enough, one flat piece of metal that mounts flat on the underside of the fuselage. With the MK IV there are the support tubes for the nose gear that monkey up the operation.

So I am wondering how other builders have approached this installation. The other thing is that the firewall hangs down about 4" below the fuselage so did you attach the belly pan to the bottom of the firewall and warp the metal over the top of the nose gear bracing with the two pieces supplied or attach the belly pan in four or more pieces to the bottom of the fuselage or are there other options that I am not seeing. If anyone has a picture that would also be very helpful.

Paul S in Wy

Posted

I found a good pic of the belly on the yahoo site.

post-379-13344924660967_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks, that is a good find. I now have a starting point. I will post some pictures as I work thru this.

Paul

Posted

Paul S in Wy

what im doing on my C is: new aluminium firewall in one piece, longer enouth to go on the belly for about 20cm and cover the botom skin that going until pedals. it is a lot lighter than old sheet galva metal

Posted

I ended up building a four piece pan that will attach next to the fuselage bottom. The pictures may be hard to see here but I will post a couple.

post-267-13345326862297_thumb.jpg

post-267-13345328542974_thumb.jpg

Posted

what im doing on my C is: new aluminium firewall in one piece, longer enouth to go on the belly for about 20cm and cover the botom skin that going until pedals. it is a lot lighter than old sheet galva metal

That will be lighter. Will you be using Fiberfax or something else to protect yourself in the event of a fire in the engine compartment? My Q-2 has an aluminum skin, then a layer of fiberfas and then the composite firewall.

Paul

Posted

I ended up building a four piece pan that will attach next to the fuselage bottom. The pictures may be hard to see here but I will post a couple.

Paul,

Can you post some photos of your nose gear mounts, etc. I am scratch-building a nose-dragger.

Thanks, Ed in MO

Posted

Paul,

Can you post some photos of your nose gear mounts, etc. I am scratch-building a nose-dragger.

Thanks, Ed in MO

Ed mine is a taildragger but the MK IV was build so that it could be either one. If you are wanting pictures of the frame structure I can take some but it will be a couple of days before I have a chance to get back to the hanger.

Paul

Posted

Ed mine is a taildragger but the MK IV was build so that it could be either one. If you are wanting pictures of the frame structure I can take some but it will be a couple of days before I have a chance to get back to the hanger.

Paul

Thanks Paul - Anything helpful = I thought from the photos that yours was a nose-dragger. I have bought several builders manuals for KF and Avid, but yet have no drawings or photos of frame attaches or nose gear pictures or any info on construction, materials, etc. I have my own designed, see my latest post on page 3 of

C-Box ratios where I wrote to Randy. Always like to see what others have done, and maybe make changes to my design to make it better, if that is possible.

Whatever, whenever, you can post something it will be appreciated - or anyone else that has info on nose gear.

Ed in MO

Posted (edited)

I hope you are planning to use some fire-protection material over the aluminum that the FAA will approve. Standard is .016 stainless or .018 galvanized, and the FARs give that minimum thickness to withstand the only approved fire test.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Paul - Anything helpful = I thought from the photos that yours was a nose-dragger. I have bought several builders manuals for KF and Avid, but yet have no drawings or photos of frame attaches or nose gear pictures or any info on construction, materials, etc. I have my own designed, see my latest post on page 3 of

C-Box ratios where I wrote to Randy. Always like to see what others have done, and maybe make changes to my design to make it better, if that is possible.

Whatever, whenever, you can post something it will be appreciated - or anyone else that has info on nose gear.

Ed in MO

I don't know if you have seen this.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kGOPTzF-g4Wqi7hlayqw4BC6HoTujaK47ZNFmza9VLE_pjpSjZ8T9RxvtTz1LL_6QLBKtsQq_LavbYyfBDhKQXcONHdt1S5U/Avid%20steering%20mod.pdf

Paul

Posted (edited)

Thanks - I checked it out - Looks like steerable NW setup - had all the problems with that type you can think of - used to drive an Ercoupe too - any flyer who has never shit in his drawers on landing has never landed an Ercoupe for the first time in a bad crosswind.

Hint - the steering wheels not only turn the rudder - they also turn the nosewheel! Cessna's nosewheel, Rans nosewheel, and others, disconnect until the weight is on them after landing. Nosewheels have to be kept straight in flight before touching down.

Going to stay with the castoring nose wheel this time. (KISS principle) No experience with it, but others do it, so worth trying.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri