Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Radiators

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone have a set of radiators for the mk4 or have ideas on a good replacement. I'm not having much luck finding any.

Travis

Posted

Most of us have gone with a single radiator down on the belly.

Posted (edited)

I forgot what engine you are using. I have a spare for a 2 cycle rotax.

Stratus was supplying the AC ones, but I understand you can get them cheap at junkyards and have the fittings put on at a rad shop.

My 81 came with a VW Rabbit rad, hung from the firewall at back end of cowl. Owner said it worked fine.

You can get better ones from a few racing radiator shops, but are not cheap.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm building a model C and should have the MK4 cowl in the next few weeks. My plan is to put a 582 into the plane but I don't have an engine yet. I'm just trying to get some ideas on whats out there and I have'nt had much luck locating pictures of radiator setups besides the twin radiator setup inside the cowl of the mk4.

Posted

Most of the ones I have seen with the 2 cycle have had the round cowl. Some mounted the rad below the firewall, hanging it out in the wind, and others mounted it flush with the bottom of the firewall, at an angle and slightly forward. The bottom of the cowl was cut out to match the rad.

Both seemed to work fine.

Ed in MO

Posted

Murle Williams Aviation Has belly mount radiators in their online catalog. They may be able to make cheek mount if you talk to them. The one I got for my Stratus was sized to my spec.s They have a web site, google should get you there.

Jackak

Posted

This is the setup I decided on for my Avid+.

post-53-13295100452973_thumb.jpg

Posted

Doug-- Is that a Eurofox/Aerotrec/Avid C clone?

Posted

Thats a nice looking 912 but I'm curious: Where did you get the radiators?

Posted (edited)

Yes, that is an AeroTrek A240. Unfortunately, NA S-LSA distributor will not sell parts, so you need to find them in a wreck yard. Not a Avid C clone, got a wider fuse like the KF 5/6 ergo the perfect nose transplant for the wider Avid+ fuse. Love the in-cowl oil cooler and rads, great for floats!

Edited by dholly

Posted

Murle Williams Aviation Has belly mount radiators in their online catalog. They may be able to make cheek mount if you talk to them. The one I got for my Stratus was sized to my spec.s They have a web site, google should get you there.

Jackak

\

How about posting your specs on the rad? Photos? Price? Performance?

Wondering what size 2 front mounts would take the place of my Rabbit rad.

Thanks,

Ed in MO - Reductions Sooby 81

Posted

I really like the looks of your airbox. Is that something that you built? I was wonder if you have any more detailed px of the inside and outside. Guess I should have started and other thread for this.

Paul

Posted

I talked to Brett and he does not have the MK IV radiator set up just sitting on the shelf. If I remember right, to have them made it was around $1400. You can go to the belly mount for less than $500.

BC.gif

Posted

Guys, I found a used pair of cheek radiators a couple days ago for the MK4 for less than $100

Posted

Guys, I found a used pair of cheek radiators a couple days ago for the MK4 for less than $100

I will give ya 200 today hahahaha. Thats a damn good price! Let me know if you sniff out another pair of them!

Posted

I talked to Brett and he does not have the MK IV radiator set up just sitting on the shelf. If I remember right, to have them made it was around $1400. You can go to the belly mount for less than $500.

BC.gif

$1400, $500??? OMG! I forget how rich you goldminers are in Alaska.

Down here, with the po-folks, my $50 Rabbit rad will do an excellent job, or the Chevy A/C rads at $10 each from the junk yards.

Nice to compare prices, and find out where the bargains are.

Ed in MO

Posted

$1400, $500??? OMG! I forget how rich you goldminers are in Alaska.

Down here, with the po-folks, my $50 Rabbit rad will do an excellent job, or the Chevy A/C rads at $10 each from the junk yards.

Nice to compare prices, and find out where the bargains are.

Ed in MO

Not a gold miner Ed :lol: I didn't buy the MK IV rads, when I found out the price from Brett. I got my belly mount radiator from JackAK for alot less than 500, but that is what I saw them going for other places. Never thought about an AC rad! What are the dimensions on the Rabbit rad?

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Not a gold miner Ed :lol: I didn't buy the MK IV rads, when I found out the price from Brett. I got my belly mount radiator from JackAK for alot less than 500, but that is what I saw them going for other places. Never thought about an AC rad! What are the dimensions on the Rabbit rad?

:BC:

Stratus, and I think RFI, used the Chevy AC (condensers? / Evaporators??) (not the one up front by the regular radiator) for the EA81 mounted up front. Used ones are cheap. Several models available - would have to check my books to see which is best. NOT FORD, they are different.

My rad fin area is 5 1/2 x 26 x 1 1/2, and overall counting the metal caps and surrounding metal, is 8 x 30 x 2.

I have not verified that it is actually a VW Rabbit rad. You could check with VW or a junk yard to see what it is.

I was told by the seller that he had it on a Pelican and made a tunnel from the front of the cowl underneith his EA81 to a few inches back of the rad, and that in summer temps in the midwest it held 190 degrees to 195 degrees which is right with the thermostat. It is hung from the firewall by 2 straps at a 45 degree angle.

Hope this helps someone.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Murle Williams aluminum belly radiators sell for $250. plus shipping and weigh less than the original Kitfox radiators.