Anyone tried one of these lights??

35 posts in this topic

Posted

I had a funny coincidence today. I saw a VERY nice looking KF parked on the ramp, and went over to check it out. I found the owner, and got to talking with him. It turns out he is Brendan, the guy that owns the company that sells these lights. Very nice guy.

Posted

Luke - He sells which light?

Kenneth - $70 is nothing for an aircraft light - Just go price Whelen!

EDMO

Posted

Sorry Ed, he sells the lights that Leni mentioned in the first post. He runs the crazedpilot.com website.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Luke,

I have been to that site - bought their wigwag lights - didn't know they sold the light Leni mentioned.  Thought maybe you were talking about the hand-held spotlights.

EdMO

Leni,

I have spotted coons in neighbors yard with my million CP handheld light - about 300 or more feet, but it wasn't fully charged - If that little LED can spot at 400 feet, then I'm going to buy one to spotlight coons too!

ED

Found it - Leni didn't post that - it Was ChrisB

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The spot-lights I am talking about for landing lights are the ones that Chris mentioned from VisionX, but at $119 each, I better wait for a sale!  The crazedpilot lights are only for recognition.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

UPDATE: The product has been re-engineered and we're manufacturing a new strobe & wig-wag controller (yes, in America) that hit the street last year, allowing all sorts of light combinations including any LED and some incascent bulbs including your Vision X lamps.   Please verify the current draw requirements (max 5 AMPS per output side) but you can get the controller only for $26, and new LED lights that can be paired with the kit below including the new mini BULLET LED lights, they're a ton of recognition lighting for such a small package:

http://www.crazedpilot.com/led-lighting/

http://www.crazedpilot.com/aircraft-strobe-light-led-landing-lights-wig-wag-controller/

Feel free to ask any questions, we're around to help.....

~Brendan

------
Brendan
Co-Founder
http://CRAZEDpilot.com

Edited by CRAZEDpilot
1 person likes this

Posted

Brendan, do the new 48 LED lights work well for a landing light or would they be more appropriate as a taxi light?

Posted

Brendan, I will be ordering one of the new controlers and testing it out.  The Vision X lights draw less than an amp so it should work GREAT! 

:BC:

Posted

Just a quick update.  I did a bench test with the original controller and 2 of the vision X lights.  Using them both on at the same time total amp draw was .9 amps.  In the wig wag it was hard to get a good reading but it was bouncing between .4 and .5 amps on the fluke meter.  I did not get a chance to install them and fly with it yet, but I can tell you right now that the vision X lights will be AWESOME recognition lights and they work AWESOME as landing / taxi lights on the snow.  I don't know how long the original controller will last before it lets out the magic blue smoke, but I will order up one of the new ones and have it as stand by if my lights stop blinking.  they are more of a 3 pulse each strobe light swapping back and forth after 3 pulses each so they should really work well as recognition lights.  I will have them mounted on the plane when I get home and will see if I can get some video of them in action in the day light.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I just looked at a 50 watt HID rectangular spotlight that puts out 5000 lumens and draws only 4.7 amps - Soob alternators can handle it - 2 bangers would have to carry a spare battery.

EDMO