Fuel tank issues

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I accidentally left a non vented fuel cap on the Diva. Fuel valve in the off position. And the temp around here got up in the mid 60’s. Yay, it’s February! Oh Sh!t, the fuel tank looks like a marshmallow! The bottom of the tank puffed out (it’s a heavy hauler wing), the 2 tank ribs separated from the tank bottom. Has anyone dealt with this before and how did you fix it? Thanks, Bryce 

Posted (edited)

I had an issue with my Kitfox 4 tank when I did something dumb.  I cut the part of the top off the tank, and refiberglassed things back together.  Has been fine since.  I added one more rib of fiberglass for good measure.  I may have posted a thread about it on here a couple of years ago.  JImChuk

PS  found it     Dumb stunt.... - Close Call's and dumb stunts - AvidFoxFlyers Forums

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much! What solvent to clean the tanks should I use and what epoxy? How many layers of what weight cloth where used for the doubler mounts and baffles? Thanks, Bryce 

Posted

The Kitfox tanks had kreem fuel tank sealant in them, and I used acetone to try to get it off.  Not sure how many layers I used, but the new rib I made was about 1/8" thick.  Probably used three or four layers of fiberglass cloth to join the ribs back to the bottom of the tank.   I think I made the rib on a piece of old lexan windshield.  Thinking now, and I may have done that, I would lay another piece over the layup of fiberglass, and screw down a piece of plywood over the top to squeeze it all flat while it sets up.  I used the fiberglass resin like you find at walmart.  

Posted

Jim,

was the resin epoxy or vinyl ester resin? Thanks, Bryce 

Posted

The resin I used was polyester resin, the stuff made by bondo.  Was just looking at it on line and a number of people were complaining about it not hardening up, I've never had that problem.  Made lots of stuff with it.  I did buy the gallon cans of resin.  Not that that should matter???  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

The nice thing about vinyl ester and many epoxies is they stand up to alcohol.  Both of those will adhere to the polyester the early tanks were made from.

3 people like this

Posted

Hi Jim,

what thickness did you make the tank doublers that you used to glue the top of the tank back in? Thanks Bryce 

Posted

They were maybe 1/8" thick.  I laid up some fiberglass on an old lexan windshield.   I used some of my polyester resin a week ago, and it hardened up just fine.  It's a few years old.  

1 person likes this