DAR Inspection

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I got my DAR inspection today so now theres no excuses.Im taking it up to a friends house,he has a 3000 ft grass runway and he also has a Skyraider so he can help a bunch.Didnt think I would ever get done but now hopefully I can enjoy it.Also I got to meet Burt Rutan the other day at our flyin.Pretty cool to have Dean Wilson and Burt Rutan both living right by our little airport.Ive never met Dean but maybe someday if Im lucky.Thanks for everybodys help on this forum.I,ll keep you posted on first flight.Randy

post-104-13108742119366_thumb.jpg

post-104-13108743213199_thumb.jpg

Posted

Congrats! Your right, now your out of excuses... Time to fire her up and start putting hours on it!

:BC:

Posted

That's awesome! Congratulations. From what I can see it looks really nice too. Be safe and have fun.

Posted

Congrats Randy looking forward to the first flight report! I think my first flight was like 2 or 3 days after getting my pink slip.

Posted

Congrats Randy looking forward to the first flight report! I think my first flight was like 2 or 3 days after getting my pink slip.

You guys waited :dunno: I think I had 28 hrs of "break in time" on the engine when I got mine :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I got my DAR inspection today so now theres no excuses.Im taking it up to a friends house,he has a 3000 ft grass runway and he also has a Skyraider so he can help a bunch.Didnt think I would ever get done but now hopefully I can enjoy it.Also I got to meet Burt Rutan the other day at our flyin.Pretty cool to have Dean Wilson and Burt Rutan both living right by our little airport.Ive never met Dean but maybe someday if Im lucky.Thanks for everybodys help on this forum.I,ll keep you posted on first flight.Randy

Way to go Randy. Hope your flights are safe and as much fun as the building part of a fine looking craft. Russ.

Posted

What is the empty weight of your Super Sky Raider? Is it really 430lbs like they advertise? Looking forward to a flight report!

Posted

What is the empty weight of your Super Sky Raider? Is it really 430lbs like they advertise? Looking forward to a flight report!

The lightest one that I have seen was around 480,most people that I have talked to said they were over 500 with Jabirus in them.Mine came in at 507 with a 582,was hoping for a lighter number but I added a couple extra stringers and panel has built in radio,etc.Its real easy to add stuff but the weight adds up in a hurry.The 430 number seems awfully low but it may be do able.I have talked to guys with Kitfox 2,s and 3,s and they to were over 500.Not sure what weight the Avids come in at but they all have pretty much the same wing.Will be able to give a flight report in two weeks from today.Randy

Posted

I'm a bit surprised at those numbers. The KF-III Operator's Manual lists 440lbs. empty weight, my W&B was 428lbs. empty on the wheel gear.

Posted

428 empty you musta filled the wheels and tanks with helium! When akflyerbob rebuilt his model one he went light weight on everything with BAREBONES pannel and it still came out at 500# With a 582 and the radiators etc, it is a very hard thing to get them to come in even remotely close to the factory advertised specs. I know my Avid did not come remotely close, but I have big dual tanks, and a few other goodies that are gonna get ripped out. I also went with Medium weight fabric on the entire plane, but the good folks at poly fiber said it only added a couple pounds. I went VERY THIN on the paint other than the silver, it got the reccomended layers of that, but the top coat was shot on just enough to cover the silver.

My original weight with the good ole bathroom scales was 583#, but when I paid the jackwagons to weigh it on real digital aircraft scales it came in at 568. The ballance point did not change cause all the numbers were off about the same, I was just able to put another couplke bottles in the bagage area for those extended camping trips :lol:

BC.gif

Posted (edited)

The lightest one that I have seen was around 480,most people that I have talked to said they were over 500 with Jabirus in them.Mine came in at 507 with a 582,was hoping for a lighter number but I added a couple extra stringers and panel has built in radio,etc.Its real easy to add stuff but the weight adds up in a hurry.The 430 number seems awfully low but it may be do able.I have talked to guys with Kitfox 2,s and 3,s and they to were over 500.Not sure what weight the Avids come in at but they all have pretty much the same wing.Will be able to give a flight report in two weeks from today.Randy

That's not too bad. Even at 507 empty that gives you nearly 700lbs useful. Heck, that's two big guys, full fuel and baggage... beats the hell out of my Cessna 150F.

Edited by nemesisnxt

Posted

That's not too bad. Even at 507 empty that gives you nearly 700lbs useful. Heck, that's two big guys, full fuel and baggage... beats the hell out of my Cessna 150F.

The back seat person cant be too tall,not much leg room.The way I figure it you would be out of balance before you could get to gross weight unless it was about a 350 pound pilot.200 pound in front and 200 pound in back,full fuel with 20lbs in storage sack behind rear seat and you just come in under most aft w&b.Unless you just like tandems like myself then you could probably haul more payload with a Avid or Kitfox,the side by side keeps the CG closer.

Posted

Leni- It was a real stripper, the lightest KF-III I ever saw.

post-53-13116325407471_thumb.jpg

Posted

The back seat person cant be too tall,not much leg room.The way I figure it you would be out of balance before you could get to gross weight unless it was about a 350 pound pilot.200 pound in front and 200 pound in back,full fuel with 20lbs in storage sack behind rear seat and you just come in under most aft w&b.Unless you just like tandems like myself then you could probably haul more payload with a Avid or Kitfox,the side by side keeps the CG closer.

Good point. I've never flown or calculated the CG of a tandem. Thanks for the honest comments, these are important factors that the manufacturers tend to leave out. I think I might look more closely at the Kitfox, especially if I choose the part out the C-150. I can use the 0-200 in one of the newer Foxes. However, if the right deal in a sky raider comes along....

-Joshua