Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First flight on skis this winter

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Well we have had a very unusual winter up here in northern Mn, very mild, and not much snow.  We finally got enough for me to put the skis on the Kitfox 4 and I got to fly today.  It was around 10 above F, so climb performance was really good.  The airport said DA was -1400.  Flew up around the lakes north of me and landed on one where some friends were ice fishing.  It was my first ski landing this year, in about 7" of soft snow, and was like landing on feathers.  Sweet.   Had to dive bomb a deer that was crossing my strip when I came in to land, wonder if he is still running....  he sure put it in high gear when I went right over him doing 100 mph plus and full throttle.  Only negative side of the flight was I thought I had my gopro running, but all I got was 4 pictures when I thought I was starting videos.  Never happens like that when there was nothing exciting on the video.  Anyway, a good day.  Don't put those planes away in the winter, it's the best time to fly.  JImChuk

20240107_153838.jpg

20240107_162113.jpg

20240107_162116.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Has anyone seen my plane lately?  I haven't...

Posted

You will be glad that you took the time to go for a visit when you do.  You know the story about all work and no play.  :)

Posted

Thank you for sharing. I haven't been on skis since I was a kid in the Cub with dad back in the 60's. Loved it and would love to do it again. Don't get as much snow as we used here in the plains of Indiana though. I see you are in Minnesota. Vacationed in the Boundry Waters every summer as a kid. Best memories of my life. Watched it get a lot busier through the years and wonder what it is like now.

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim, I'm jealous. Not that I have a lot of use for skis, but I am curious if those are production pieces or did you make them? If you made them are they plans you could share or are they in your brain?

Posted

I built those skis myself.  I have a sketch somewhere that I was making and never completely finished.  Some one else was asking about it the other day, and I couldn't find it.  Here is a post I started a few years ago.  JImChuk

Making a new set of skis - Forum How-to's - AvidFoxFlyers Forums