Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 8 wheel hubs for 1 1/4" axel

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  recently I got a Kitfox built cabane style landing gear.  It has the 1 1/4" aluminum axels.  I could buy the 3/4" axels from grove and then my regular kitfox hubs and 8" wheels would work.  A while back I saw someone with 3/4" axels on their kitfox break an axel, and it wasn't good.  So I got to thinking, why not build hubs that can use 1 1/4" bearings so I can use the larger axels I have.  I also didn't want to go buy expensive 6" wheels that fit the larger axels as well.  I bought two pieces of  4" long 3" OD, 2" ID aluminum tube and some 4" x 1/2 thick aluminum cutoffs.   So far, about $45 invested.  Had some fun on the lathe, and now I'll take them to the welder, true them up on the lathe, press in the bearings, and drill the bolt holes for the wheel bolts.  They should then be ready to go.  Think it will work?  JImChuk

20230805_202043.jpg

20230805_202054.jpg

20230805_202110.jpg

20230805_205207.jpg

20230805_205200.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice! 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I did a follow up on the hubs over in the Kitfox 4 section.  I finished them today.  I thought I had posted about starting on the hubs but didn't notice where it was.  JImChuk

wheel hubs 1.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this