Catalina canopy

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know who built the Catalina canopy? I checked with LP Aero and they didn’t make it.They said if I had an old one they could use it, but the kit I got is missing it.

Posted (edited)

From the pics I can see online it looks like the canopy is flat wrapped around a steel tube frame with a fiberglass "skull cap".  As long as you've got that steel frame you shouldn't have a problem. Just glue some foam blocks together and carve and sand it to get the cap, then fiberglass it and wrap the lexan sheet around the frame. 

Edited by Willja67

Posted

One of the most difficult parts of the canopy for me was getting the paper off of the lexaxn after 25 years. I later replaced the side window with thicker lexan to cut down on interior noise.

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

Posted

Thanks for the pictures I have the frame and fiberglass top. I assumed the plastic was preformed. It must be pretty thin? Do you know the thickness?

Posted

It'll be a few days before I can go out and measure, but I do know that I'd like it to be a bit thicker, as it has a tendency to deflect inward at higher speeds.

The pic stretched out with the wood braces was an attempt to straighten the lexan- it had one heckuva curl after all those years. 

It may be a week before I can measure, but I'd recommend going with the next size up- it'll still bend to conform, and what I have probably sets the "VNE".  I once asked why the VNE was set where it was, and the answer, from Mr. Wilson, was a "I didn't think anyone would want to fly it faster than that".  I did build mine with the leading edge fairings, and the upper leading edge skins (which I'll never do again, oil canning is a problem), and I've been adding fairings to anything that was round.. The catalina gets a bit less balanced as you go beyond the published vne, which I can hit easily--- 100 HP hirth F30, 3 bladed warp prop.  No issue getting off the water at gross.

$.02

Jack

N92KL

1 person likes this

Posted

That took more than a week!  Mine was 1/16", .062.  I replaced the back side windows with 1/8", in an effort to cut down on interior noise. Lexan bends better than Plexi.

Sorry for the delay,

-Jack