Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Heavy Hauler Statement of Conformity

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know where or how to get a  "Statement of Conformity" for an old (1990)  Heavy hauler ? seeing as Avid is no longer in business. This  bird was registered as an Advanced Ultralight here in Canada by myself, the builder in '91. Apparently, If I cannot find/get a "statement of Conformity" My only option is to register as a "basic" ultralight.
Tnx, Ric

Posted

This is from:

Aircraft Registration and Leasing Officer, Civil Aviation Services

Transport Canada / Government of Canada

This aircraft is registered as an Advanced Ultralight, however in order to re-register it, you would need a Fit for Flight form from the previous owner stating that the aircraft has been maintained to the advanced ultralight standards.  If you cannot get this, you will need to go to the Manufacturer and get a “Statement of Conformity” from them.  If you cannot attain either of those items, then will have to register this as a basic ultralight. Once you register as a basic ultralight, you cannot go back to Advanced Category.

Ric

Posted

So did you sell this plane and buy it back at a later date?If you are the builder if the plane any you have visual records and a log of the work you did you might have a chance of working with a designated inspector and getting it signed off into the experimental category. Mine is basic ultra light started out its life as an experimental. Was told it was possible to go back with some work and inspection and such. 

Posted

What is the difference between advanced and basic ultralight? How would it affect your flying? I am not familiar with Transport Canada rules.

Posted (edited)

It just effects the legal ability of the aircraft to carry people who would be labeled passengers. A basic ultralight can't carry passengers. The advanced one can. Basic ultralight can carry passengers provided the other person has a pilots license or the purpose of the flight is to provide dual instruction and the person flying the plane has an instructor endorsement. 

Edited by saskavid
yadda

Posted

Thank you! I understand now.

Posted

A question for everyone. I am considering a mint condition Avid Model C that has been in heated storage for 15 years. The original builder has flown it and registered it as an amateur built aircraft. (Here in Canada) - I do not know if this is considered a basic ultralight or advanced, or another category on its own. What would be the benefit or disadvantage of amateur built category?

Thanks

Posted

A question for everyone. I am considering a mint condition Avid Model C that has been in heated storage for 15 years. The original builder has flown it and registered it as an amateur built aircraft. (Here in Canada) - I do not know if this is considered a basic ultralight or advanced, or another category on its own. What would be the benefit or disadvantage of amateur built category?

Thanks

Amateur built is the best category, no limitation except the fact you can't use it commercially.

Look at the copa website explaining in details all the differences (basic/advanced/amateur/certified/OM)