Kitfox IV 582 vs. 912(80hp) only

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I know that this topic has been discussed several times, but anyway I would like to ask for some real life experiences. There should be folks who meanwhile have experience with both 2 and 4 stroke powerplants…
Due to microlight regulation I`m interested mainly in comparison of 65(582) vs. 80 hp (912). So no focus on 912uls, zipper, edge,… options
Is the swap worth the effort? Why/why not?
Aside from short following pro and con list, how did your Kitfox IV changed? What real life numbers did you gain?

con

• cost (engine, mount, prop, accessories,…)
  • additional weight
  • no ideal installation with early mount (oiltank, carb position, …)
  • approval procedure needed
  • no quick and easy swap (cowling, cooling System, avionics,… are affected)

pro

• improved reliability
  • simplified operation procedures
  • better resale value of the plane
  • increased performance (cruise/climb)

Thanks for any insights!

Posted

I can't really compare to the 582, but I have the 80 HP 912 in my Kitfox 4 classic 1200.  I cruise at about 95 mph with about 5200 rpm.  Take off is about 250' and climb is about 1000' per minute.  Those numbers are with me and about 12 gallons of fuel.  All up weight is about 950 lbs at those numbers.  My field elevation is 1500'.   I have a bunch of videos on utube flying it where you can see the instruments.  Search for my name there to find them.  I think if you make the switch, you will be happy with the results.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Thanks Jim for your helpful insights! Not always easy to make right decisions at an early stage of a rebuild (even for a less experienced pilot with no idea of Kitfox flying). As long as I´m limited to 80hp (by ultralight approval) I decided that an engine swap is too much of a task at he moment. First I want to finish my rebuild and get the Kitfox back in the air. Second I want to build up/improve my TW skills (pure newbie). Later I will see how to proceed...