Rotax 912 Engine mount Drawing

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Avid Flyers!

I'm busy with a Rotax 582 to Rotax 912 ULS swap on my Mk4 and me being in South Africa makes getting an Engine mount extremely Expensive!

So I was wondering if anyone might have a Drawing of the Engine mount for the 912 so I can build one?

Or, If anyone could possibly build me one, but without welding it together? (Just the pipes and parts cut to the correct lengths) to help with shipping cost?

Regards

Carel 

Posted

I can't help with drawings, but just an idea:

If you do your own mount, design it to use the Rotax Ring style mount.  This gives you more options for engines and factory parts than the four-leg style that is commonly used.

Posted (edited)

If it were me and building a new mount, I would build a bed mount like the Zenith 750.  It is good to know what muffler you plan to use before designing a mount.  The original mount for the MK IV WAS PART OF THE COMPLETE firewall forward package which included the mount, the muffler exhaust cowling, etc.  One of the things I don’t like about the original is the ignition modules and coils are mounted on the motor mount.  So what I am saying is maybe the original mount without the rest of the parts my not be the best way to go but is doable. Not really what you asked, just maybe something to ponder. 
the pix below is of a bed mount a friend built for a different aircraft.

262E238A-0BEE-4BCC-8AB8-DB862B109F29.jpeg

Edited by wypaul

Posted

If it were me and building a new mount, I would build a bed mount like the Zenith 750.  It is good to know what muffler you plan to use before designing a mount.  The original mount for the MK IV WAS PART OF THE COMPLETE firewall forward package which included the mount, the muffler exhaust cowling, etc.  One of the things I don’t like about the original is the ignition modules and coils are mounted on the motor mount.  So what I am saying is maybe the original mount without the rest of the parts my not be the best way to go but is doable. Not really what you asked, just maybe something to ponder. 
the pix below is of a bed mount a friend built for a different aircraft.

262E238A-0BEE-4BCC-8AB8-DB862B109F29.jpeg

Any thoughts and Ideas help, thanks Paul!

I'm definitely considering it, but I'll have to see what comes with the engine, if I get the Rotax ring style with it, I'll probably go that route...

Posted

Yes I believe I would do the same.  If you would need to buy the ring mount for a 1000 USD, NO, you can have a mount built for less than that.  I do have a ring mount and the rest of the mount for a Zenith 701 but I haven’t decided to let it go yet.