What would you do?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I'mm looking for a little advice. 

As some of you know I own an Avid A model tail number 146 AF serial number is the same. Think I bought it maybe a year and a half, 2 years ago in the hopes of using it to get my license in. Didn't realize just how tiny these little fellas are. Anyways I made a major rookie mistake didn't quite understand what it meant when he told me that it's been deregistered for safety purposes.  I have no registration or airworthiness I do have airplane and engine logs. I've been told by a local a&p that I'm pretty much SOL getting it registered AGAIN. I was told my best bet would be to sell it as parts to recoup some of my money and use that towards flight lessons. It's a complete airplane  with a 1830 Volkswagen on it along with a good time 582 with  mount. So just looking for a little advice as to what you would do. 

Jeff

Posted

Depending on how much you paid, you may come out ok if you part it out, someone looking for a fuselage now on this forum... And things have a way of getting bent where other people need things as well.  I was just looking on the FAA website, and it lists the reason for cancellation as expiration.  Also, there is a purge date of 3/21/23 so it seems like the plane is still on the books at the FAA.  Is there any way you can get the seller to reactivate the registration?  That may be possible from what I see on the FAA site.  He may still not want to, but it looks like he legally could if he wanted.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

It is possible to get a new registration by claiming that it is built from parts.  The seller sold it as parts so that is a route to consider.  The VW 1830 is a marginal engine for the Avid.  The weight to power ratio stinks .  If you are interested is moving forward have a chat wit a couple of DAR's to explore this option.  You have the mount for the 582 that would be a better option and would help in your quest with the DAR.  OTHERWISE you can sell the plane as parts and take the beating. I can understand the seller saying it is a safety issue with that engine, maybe contacting the seller letting him know that you will remove the VW and returning to the Rotax he would be open to passing the registration. 

With that heavy engine on the front I would want to see some weight added to the tail for proper W/B.  What does that plane weigh?  I'm guessing around 600 lbs?

1 person likes this

Posted

I had considered keeping  and "rebuilding" it, basically stretching the fuselage And making it my own. I bought it from someone who purchased it from the registered owner. I think he might have been unloading a paperwork problem himself. I'll have to do some looking around and maybe I can get ahold of him (the builder). I think the gross weight is just over 900lb , with a useful load is about 450 With that Volkswagen on front. Another option I was given was to basically make it airworthy and I could fly it off private property. Maybe the easy option would be to sell it as parts to someone else. 

Jeff

Posted

Part it out and call it a learning experience.  Put the money to lessons or an airplane that will realistically fit your mission.

1 person likes this