Grove gear for Kitfox wanted

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm considering replacing the stock landing gear on my Kitfox IV with something else.  I figured I'd put some feelers out there for anyone who may have a grove gear for the Kitfox that they may want to get rid of.  I figure there may be some out there gathering dust with all of the cabane bush gear conversions that are going on.  Let me know what you have, where you are and how much you want.

Thanks,

John B

Posted

Thanks, but that one is too narrow at only 26" wide where it bolts to the fuselage.

Posted

John,

I will have to measure the one that came with my recent purchase, I don't plan on using it. I'll take some measurements and some pictures. What all comes with the Grove gear kit that I should look for in my boxes of parts?

Brad

Posted (edited)

Not to step on anyone's toes, but there is a difference between an Avid grove gear, and a Kitfox gear.  Also, if your gear was ordered for the Avid B, it may be made for a lower gross weight then a Kitfox 4.  Here is a link to their site.  It shows the different gear they sell, and the dimentions.   Also, if you can find the serial # on the gear, they can tell you what it's for and the gross weight it was made for.  JImChuk

groveaircraft.com/landing_gear.html

PS.  Just thinking some more about differences, and when I was finishing up my Avid MK IV, I thought about borrowing the grove gear from my Kitfox 4 project and putting it on the Avid.   Looking from the side, the Kitfox gear were more straight up and down.  The gear mounts further forward on the Kitfox then the mounts on the Avid.  I believe the Avid grove gear is angled forward, so that puts the wheels where they need to be.  If you used an Avid gear on a Kitfox, the wheels would be to far forward.

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Here is an image of the measurements for a genuine Kitfox IV grove gear.  Having said that, if you can provide the dimensions of the gear you have and what you want for it I'll decide if it will work or if I can make it work.  The grove gear mounts on a Kitfox  IV look like the attached drawing.  See if you have similar mounts from the Avid. If you do have them it is possible I could make them work, or if not I have a milling machine and could make my own if necessary. So, If you could get these measurements and a picture or two, that would be great. Also see if it is gun-drilled for the brake line.

A - Width across top

B - Width at axle  mounts

C - Gear height

D - Gear thickness

E - Fore-Aft width at fuselage mount

kitfox4.jpg

kitfox3_4r.gif

Posted

Here is an image of the measurements for a genuine Kitfox IV grove gear.  Having said that, if you can provide the dimensions of the gear you have and what you want for it I'll decide if it will work or if I can make it work.  The grove gear mounts on a Kitfox  IV look like the attached drawing.  See if you have similar mounts from the Avid. If you do have them it is possible I could make them work, or if not I have a milling machine and could make my own if necessary. So, If you could get these measurements and a picture or two, that would be great. Also see if it is gun-drilled for the brake line.

A - Width across top

B - Width at axle  mounts

C - Gear height

D - Gear thickness

E - Fore-Aft width at fuselage mount

kitfox4.jpg

kitfox3_4r.gif

Posted (edited)

On the gear I have are the following values:

A: 33"

B: 65"

C: 23.5

D: 3/4"

E: 5"

It seems that my gear is CLOSE (within 1" of A, B and C)  of the factory dimensions for a Avid Mk 4 TD. My measure of D: 3/4 is NOT 7/8". I assume this is due to the lower Gross Weight of the B/C Model vs the 1250 G.W. of the Mk 4. 

There are no numbers or markings of any kind anywhere on the gear other than the 8 drilled holes for axel attachment.  The gear is the only part for this Grove landing gear system that I received with my Avid Model B aircraft kit purchase. 

Brad

Edited by OLDMNSX

Posted

On the gear I have are the following values:

A: 33"

B: 65"

C: 23.5

D: 3/4"

E: 5"

It seems that my gear is CLOSE (within 1" of A, B and C)  of the factory dimensions for a Avid Mk 4 TD. My measure of D: 3/4 is NOT 7/8". I assume this is due to the lower Gross Weight of the B/C Model vs the 1250 G.W. of the Mk 4. 

There are no numbers or markings of any kind anywhere on the gear other than the 8 drilled holes for axel attachment.  The gear is the only part for this Grove landing gear system that I received with my Avid Model B aircraft kit purchase. 

Brad

Thanks for taking the measurements.  Unfortunately I think I'll pass due to the 3/4" thickness but someone else will probably pick it up from you.