Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Taxi testing

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, went down to the strip and played today. Learned a few things, too. #1 The vernier throttle isn't worth the trouble, at least for me. # 2 The brakes really suck. Time to change to some new ones. #3 Too many years have passed since I was up on tail wheel control or my feet were somewhere else along with my head. But did have good power, smooth throttle response, and temps were good.

1 person likes this

Posted

Have been looking at brake systems. Considering the Black Max 1500 brakes. They now make an 8" set for the Kitfox 8" wheels and use double puck calipers. I really want to keep my 21"X12X8 tires. Other brake providers go to 6" wheels in their kits. Good brakes are needed for Avid/Foxes. I found that out today when I sucked up a seat cushion. My friends Fox needed about 3600-4000 rpm to get rolling in high grass so I figured about the same. WRONG! I hit 3000 and I was almost in the air. The little Hirth surprised me. Next try it will be tied to the truck and a full throttle run.  Still picking foam outta my rear. Switching to a friction lock throttle next week, the vernier type and I will not get along. I had one in my Stinson and we did not play well together.

1 person likes this

Posted

Have you fixed the pedals yet?  The stock pedal geometry is awful.  With the stock pedals, I couldn't hold my model C Avid at 3000 RPM.  Fixed the geometry, and it holds at 5500 just fine.  Don't bother with the Matco 'intensifier' kit, I tried it first, and maybe I could hold at 3500 RPM.  I had to change to the shortest master cylinder they had, G or H, to make the geometry work.