Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rivet type?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm getting my ACS shopping list together and trying to figure out what rivets to use. In reviewing the manual it gives the length and diameter so that's not a problem but mostly it just says "aluminum" rivets. On the ACS site there are Cherry N rivets and Cherry Q rivets and each type comes in 2 different aluminium alloys. My gut feeling is that it really doesn't matter much but if you guys know better please let me know. Thanks

Posted

knowing what you riveting makes all the difference.  If your talking about installing lexan, you want large head soft rivets.  If its something more structural then all things change.  So before we can give you a good answer we need a wee bit more info on what you doing.  Most of the rivets you would need you can get from the hardware store.

:BC:

Posted

Sorry,  mostly talking about lexan,  but there are a few of the  5/32" or maybe 3/16" rivets that hold the butt ribs to the tabs on the fuselag. 

My firewall was held on with little screws not rivets so I'm also considering what to use to secure the new firewall with. Probably stainless, but the screws made taking it apart nice and easy. 

Basically any type of rivet needed in the fuselage. About the only thing being done to the wings is recovering so no rivets needed there, except for the rib tail hangars, but that info is provided in the service bulletin.

Posted

I just used 1/8" large flange aluminum rivets from the local hardware store or amazon on the lexan.  SS rivets on the butt ribs.  What your doing is not really structural so Cherry max rivets are ridiculous overkill.

Posted

On thanks