Parting out A model Avid STOL wing

58 posts in this topic

Posted

Wings and flaperons are sold.  The guys daughter wanted to keep the fuselage for a static display, so maybe she wants the seat as well.  The seat was actually home made like a net with 3/16" cord.  Maybe I can remember to get a picture of it.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim

Lighting idea of that auxiliary tank/jug, is there any manufactures name on the bottle? 

Posted

I will have to take a look at that tank and see if I can make anything out.  JImChuk

Posted

Appreciate it, Jim

Posted

Jim

Lighting idea of that auxiliary tank/jug, is there any manufactures name on the bottle? 

looks like a VP can thats what I use for filling my plane. Works very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VP-Racing-Green-5-Gallon-Race-Gas-Diesel-Can-Fuel-Jug-Water-Container-Off-Road/381019279278?epid=873575053&hash=item58b684cfae:g:CRMAAOSwy~BaIYkY

Posted

Tanks was made by Scribner plastics.  I think it's the one in this link.  I was at a friends place today, and he had a 5 gallon tank for a CGS Hawk that would have worked great.  He got it used a Oshkosh for real cheap.  I snapped a picture of it.  It was made by Nalgene.  JImChuk    www.scribnerplastics.com/utility-jugs.html

Photo0739.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hey Jim, do you still have the wings for this and where are they ? Here in Ak? Scratch that.... i see that they are sold

Edited by Avidharleyflyer

Posted

Ya, they're gone.  I shipped both motors off today as well, so now she has got back a bit over the price of the 65 Hirth bought last August.  Got some smaller parts, and 2 props, so maybe get $1000 more if we are lucky.  Oh well, if I wasn't helping her, she wouldn't have gotten half of it.   JImChuk

Posted

Oh well, if I wasn't helping her, she wouldn't have gotten half of it.   JImChuk

Jim I have to say it you really are a good guy.

So many people come at these older folks and try to screw them out of there belonging's. I'm really glad you took the time to help her out.  You are so right  some worthless idiot would have low balled her so bad on these parts If you wern't there.  Your a good Guy Mr.

2 people like this

Posted

Ya, they're gone.  I shipped both motors off today as well, so now she has got back a bit over the price of the 65 Hirth bought last August.  Got some smaller parts, and 2 props, so maybe get $1000 more if we are lucky.  Oh well, if I wasn't helping her, she wouldn't have gotten half of it.   JImChuk

what kind of smaller parts are left ?

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the kind words TJay.  As far as the parts left, there are 2 props,  both LH,  a 64" three bade IVO, and a two blade 66"  Powerfin  electric fuel pumps, gascolator, controls, (mixer, joystick, rudder pedals)  tail feathers, and stuff like that.  Instruments as well.  Dual CHT,  EGT,  senders for them.  I think both were new last August, ASI, (only goes to 80)   Props are both in real good shape.  Probably should put the stuff on ebay.  That usually works good for smaller stuff.  If anything is of interest to anyone, let me know.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Is it the standard little gascolator like in a mkIV or something bigger ? Mine is about as big around as a coke can and maybe 16" tall . Also what kind of fuel pumps and psi ? I've been toying with the idea of adding one to mine like everyone else is doing . 

Thank you for the kind words TJay.  As far as the parts left, there are 2 props,  both LH,  a 64" three bade IVO, and a two blade 66"  Powerfin  electric fuel pumps, gascolator, controls, (mixer, joystick, rudder pedals)  tail feathers, and stuff like that.  Instruments as well.  Dual CHT,  EGT,  senders for them.  I think both were new last August, ASI, (only goes to 80)   Props are both in real good shape.  Probably should put the stuff on ebay.  That usually works good for smaller stuff.  If anything is of interest to anyone, let me know.  JImChuk

Posted

Steve, what you are describing is usually called the header tank, although it does act as a gascolator.  The one on the A model is a standard style aircraft gascolator similar to this.  /th?id=OP.Y3UuOVbZFD2MvA300C300&pid=21.1I can get pictures of it and the facet fuel pumps later today.  I'll have to check on the pump pressures.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Gotcha . there's no gascolator in mine . hmmm 

Posted

Sorry, I forgot to get pictures and such of the fuel pumps and gascolator.  I'll try to remember tomorrow.  I don't have a gascolator in my Avid, never did in the over 500 hrs I've flown it.  JImChuk

Posted

I probably don't need it then . I still would be interested in a fuel pump if it fits the bill. 

Posted

I really don't know how much use was on those pumps on the plane.  I went and looked on ebay, and there all kinds of them there with free shipping besides.  Probably the cheapest ones are Chinese knock offs, so buyer beware.  The real facets are about 50 new I think.  JImChuk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Universal-electric-fuel-pump-Facet-style-Petrol-Diesel-Ethanol/331922318212?epid=629562024&hash=item4d481ca384%3Ag%3Aj6kAAOSwARZXktEc&_sacat=6000&_nkw=facet+fuel+pump+12v&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1311.R3.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfacet+fuel+.TRS0

Posted

I have a facet saved on my watch list thats around $50 pumping 2-4 psi . I believe 4-6 psi is a little much for my little 582. 

Posted

Spruce sells them for about the same price As others do thats where I got mine works great so far.

Posted

Are the rudder pedals setup for disc brakes ? 

Posted

Rudder pedals were set up for cable brakes.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Wonder if they can be converted to run disc brakes. I need rudder pedals for my quickie project. 

Posted

Should be fairly easy.  Just weld some tabs on in the right place to attach the brake cylinders to.  The owner had these brakes set up so they went on the outside pedals.  He flew the plane as a single seat and sat in the center.   JImChuk

Photo0391.jpg

Photo0392.jpg

Photo0394.jpg

Posted

Weird but I happen to weld and powder coat so shouldn't be a problem. Does it still have the push pull throttle? That's another thing I need for my quickie

Posted

Plane had a throttle quadrant.  Not the standard push pull cable.  Kind of shows up in the picture.  If the quadrant wouldn't work, what kind of throttle cable would you need?  I may have some.  JImChuk

Photo0744.jpg