Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Shock Cords

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I am curious why the Avid Flyer cannot use a single wrap bungee instead of a 1/2 inch or 3/8 wrapped several times.  They have shock cords that are rated 1460.  This would eliminate the need to wrap 7 or 8 times and make it a lot cleaner and easier to inspect. 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/shock_rings.php?clickkey=3010852

06-00826.jpg

Posted

Actually I think I answered my own question because of the way it wraps

Posted

Yeah, even if I could justify cutting my seat truss every time they needed replacing, I'll be damned if I would pay those prices for a single ring!

:beerchug:

Posted

This is the post I typed up last evening, and then didn't hit the submit reply button.            Actually though, you have 2 hooks pointing up.  A loop could be hooked over one, go down under the seat truss and hooked on the other side.  Probably take a cable come a long hooked to the headache rack to pull it up and into place though.  :-)  Went to ACS and looked at them, and the 5/8" x 8" might just do it.  One of them is good for 750 lbs, the other for 900lbs.  Just walked out to the garage, and the hooks are 5 1/2" above the bottom of the seat truss.  If the hooks were both 1/2" further out, it would make more room for the bungee to go around the flaperons push tube, and the trim cable on the other side.  Hooks are only made for 3/8" cord also.  If a guy was doing some repair on his seat truss anyway, it wouldn't be to hard to remodel things so they would fit.      Again this morning....  Then I looked more at the ACS description, and it said 4 were required for that weight.   That was when I decided not to post my message.  JImChuk

Posted

If you have ever installed them on a PA12 you would know why the way Avid and KF did it is much easier.  If you make an install tool its not too bad to install the ring bungees but its still sketchy at best :lol:  I have never seen anyone try and remove the ring bungees with anything other than a knife so I had to try it on the PA12.. there is a reason they remove them with a knife and buy new ones every time they go from wheels to floats.

:BC:

Posted

I had to make  tool for my buddy to do these damn things . Even with it he had a hell of a time . I'll stick to wrapping mine every couple years .

1 person likes this