Second Chantz BRS Removal (For sale if you want it)

13 posts in this topic

Posted

My newly acquired aircraft has a Second Chantz BRS installed that is rated for 900lbs; I could not find a date on the device, but I would presume that it would need a new rocket motor and re-pack.

Since this device obviously has some pretty nasty pyro in it, I just thought I would ask if anyone has any experience removing them.  I believe that as long as I watch out for the safety, it should be fairly straight forward and all connections are internal.

I DON'T want an early Fourth of July.

I will try and contact the company, but their web site appears to be all jacked up, so they may, or may not still be in business.

I will wait for a little while to see if anyone wants it and can pick it up, otherwise, I will need to figure out how to remove the rocket motor and dispose of it appropriately.

Did I mention that they installed the BRS right next to the auxiliary fuel tank right behind the passenger seat?

Seems like a Darwinian moment waiting to happen to me!!!!

2 people like this

Posted

I actually defused one in an ultralight that crashed at KPSP when I worked there. It was mechanically linked to a handle which basically fired a charge much like a shotgun shell. Once the firing arm was secure it was safe to handle. Mike

Posted

Kind of what I thought, that I should be good to get it out of the plane, as long as I keep the safety on.

Posted

I got it removed today.  Pictures below.  Does anyone know what kind of motor this unit uses?  It is an AeroSafe 900.

20170408_163521.jpg

20170408_163617.jpg

Posted

I can't see a rocket engine on it.  Some of the Second Chantz chutes used pressurized air to fire a slug out.  I had a 750 lb second chantz that had a rocket however.  I think the air pressure ones were earlier models.  I also heard that one of the original owners  is repacking these chutes.  I know BRS won't.  JImChuk 

Posted

But, I also don't see any pressure gauge on it either, so it is still an unknown.  I read somewhere that Second Chantz sold out to BRS, so think I will give them a call next week to see if they can shed any light.

Posted

I have had BR$ repack a chute of me, and they wont even repack their own if it's "to  old"  That's another story though....  I have a 1200 lb BRS sitting on the shelf......Here is the link you need.  JImChuk

http://secondchantz.com/

Posted

Yes, I have already been there, but the web site is all jacked up.  From what I have read the company has been out of business for some time.  I also read that they sold out to BRS.  I have completely removed the unit at this point and do not plan to put it back in.  I was thinking of contacting BRS, not for a service, but for specifications and disposal recommendations.  Either I sell this thing or I dispose of it, either way, I need to know what kind of motor it has in it.  If it is a rocket motor, from what I have read, you have to have an appropriate license to even ship the thing or it has to be removed (although I have seen where some people have used UShip).  If it is compressed gas, then things get much simpler.

Obviously, I am hoping that it is compressed gas.  If it is a rocket motor, what kind of ummmm.... individual would install it bumped up against a fuel cell?

Posted

Suppose you could set up some video cameras, and tie it to some thing solid, and fire it off.  That will neutralize it I suppose.  Been done at many ultralight flyins I think.  JImChuk  I think the dog it thinking "you are some kind of an idiot"  

3 people like this

Posted

Don't think that I haven't thought it ;)

If I can find someone who wants it, I would prefer to sell it to help offset the costs of other parts that we all know that I need.  I saw a 600 pound model go for $300 late last year, so the 900 pound model should be more right?  Of course, it may just turn out to be a paperweight or a conversation piece.

Did I mention that their installation damaged the skin.  Where they attached the cables to the bottom of the fuselage, one side was completely worn through and the other side was severely distorted.

I personally can't say that I would ever use one anyway, for anything short of a significant structural failure and even then it is not going to be a good day.  But then again, that is just me.

Posted (edited)

Jim, Would that chute be good for top of temporary paint booth?  Cover for a bird?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Shoot, Ed, I don't know...;-)  JImChuk

Posted

Another vote to fire it off and take a video.  Additional point awarded if there is additional explosions, fireballs, redneck beer drinking or some other form of mayhem involved!  :lmao: 

:BC:

3 people like this