Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blown Up Sheet Rock

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I started my rotax 912 ULS.  I can feel the tail wanting to rise much easier than with the Rotax 582.  I must say Im a little frightened to firewall it the first time out as I can feel the power difference just sitting in the cockpit ground testing.

That being said I was in the garage and started the engine for a brief minute and forgot about a piece of sheet rock leaning against the garage door in front of plane.  It was a good 5 or 6 feet away.  The prop sucked the sheet away from the garage door and hit the prop and sheetrock exploded all over the garage.  My heart sunk at first until I realize the prop was not even dented.  I saw it coming and killed the ignition before the sheetrock hit.  I laughed nervously for a while.  :blink:  Lesson learned.

2 people like this

Posted

:lol:  I thought running the engine in the garage / hangar was a no no... not only can you suck up things in front of you, you can make one heck of a mess out of the things on the wall or laying on benches and blow stuff everywhere.  If you want to make enemies really fast just start a plane in front of an open hangar or spin you plane around in front of an open hangar door and give them a blast.. It tends to influence the hangar owner in a negative way :lmao:

With the slipper clutch you should be OK, but I am sure there are those who will say you just bought yourself a tear down inspection.  Any solid object hitting the prop is not good.

:BC:

Posted

Wow, that could have been disastrous. I would seriously think about checking the prop out with a magnifying glass to make sure you didn't really hurt it. It's not a good thing if it has a hairline crack that you might not see and then go to fly it. They say you only have 1.5 seconds once a prop breaks to cut the engine off before it rips the whole assembly from the firewall due to the imbalance. Not something to mess around with since that is not recoverable unless you have an emergency chute. 

Posted (edited)

True story. I have looked it over carefully. Still ground testing.  The sheet rock did not stop the prop.  It was the less dense light weight stuff. The engine did not even hesitate.  Serious but still makes me laugh. :wacko:

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted (edited)

True story. I have looked it over carefully. Still ground testing.  The sheet rock did not stop the prop.  It was the less dense light weight stuff. The engine did not even hesitate.  Serious but still makes me laugh. :wacko:

Should this have been put in "Close calls and dumb stunts", like Harrison Ford landing on a taxiway instead of a runway? ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

What kind of prop is it?  Some are of course more durable then others.  JImChuk

Posted

Jeff has an ivo magnum.