12 posts in this topic

Posted

• what advantages in their location? all other plane the alerons are behind the trailing end ×

Posted (edited)

I guess one advantage is that flaperons can be made smaller and lighter than shorter ailerons and flaps because they are almost as long as the wing and they have free air across them that is not disrupted by the wing.   Also, the controls do not go inside the wings, which makes them easier to build.   This type of design was used in Germany about 80 years ago.

The one disadvantage is that they are not as effective as regular flaps and when the flap control is used they lose some effectiveness as ailerons and you don't have as much roll control which can be overcome by using the rudder for roll control.   I hope this is clear enough to understand.    EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Flapperons are below and behind the main wing.  They are still in high pressure, energetic air when the wing is stalled, therefore you have roll control well into the stall unlike regular ailerons. 

It is true they do not add a lot of drag in "flap" mode for landing, but they do add a lot of lift.  For takeoff, dropping down full flap at 25-30 mph will make the plane pop off the ground easily into ground effect, making for a shorter takeoff roll. 

Posted

The flaperons are also very good for crosswind landings, I am still amazed at how well the Avid handles direct crosswinds.

Posted

As well as the "High performance" roll contro, it is much easier to make a folding wing airplane that is easy to fold and folds up narrow enough to be street legal.

Posted

OK thats all understandable .Looking at an 86. I was wondering if its worth messing with. It would be my first Avid. It has a old Rotax 532.

Thanks for any input. 

Posted

The main reason was for the folding wing width as stated above. I've flown quite a few other airplanes and the only one close to the roll response and lightness was an RV at 165 mph.

Posted

The flaperons are also very good for crosswind landings, I am still amazed at how well the Avid handles direct crosswinds.

I would never use full faperons in a strong crosswind. Been there done that. Full deflection of the control stick did nothing.

Posted (edited)

Yes, to be clear, I agree, I do not use the flap function in strong winds cross or otherwise.

Edited by wypaul

Posted

No no no don't touch em in a crosswind. I only use flaperons for landings when I drag it in trying to get stopped really short. With my extended gear and big tires I have so much AOA now that I have to dump them just as I touch down to keep from it from bouncing and wanting to keep flying.

Posted (edited)

Yes, to be clear, I agree, I do not use the flap function in strong winds cross or otherwise.

A lot of the earlier planes didn't have flaps, so you had no choice - We learned to cross-control and do slips both for losing altitude and for x-wind control, and to slightly increase our landing speeds - When training in the later models with flaps we were told not to use them or to at least not use full flaps for x-winds landings.  When you pull full flaps with the flaperons, you lose some aileron travel and lose some aileron roll control.

EDMO 

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

I'm sorry I thought you said flaps. I miss read your post.