Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NorCal getting pummeled

17 posts in this topic

Posted

No warning of this storm at all. A couple weeks ago they talked up the "storm of the century" for a week. It never produced anything like this. Gusts are approaching 60 mph and it's raining sideways sheets. I have several windows and my rear sliding door leaking pretty bad. Word is a quicksilver that was temporarily tied down outside is in pieces all over the ramp at the airport. 

IMG_6087.JPG

IMG_6094.PNG

IMG_6095.PNG

Posted

Batten down the hatches Joey!   I was just looking at the fish dying in the dried-up Salton Lake before you posted tonight.   At least our ice storm only lasted 3 days with no flooding - just lots of car wrecks and trees down!   EDMO

Posted

Hate to see this

IMG_6097.JPG

Posted (edited)

First, glad that no one was injured.  It was a tied plane damaged by the weather.

Good news is Quicksilver is still in business and parts are plentiful.  I hope it was insured...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Looks like Jim Chuk in his winter place and all the guys along the Gulf Coast are going to get hammered too - At least you are not looking at tornadoes in California.   EDMO

Posted

Seeing that kind of weather makes me glad I only have to worry about a hurricane every now and then . You guys have ground that moves ,big storms , snow the works . Once in a while my area will get a tropical storm or something but most of the time I'm pretty safe . The worst that I get in Florida are the cotton tops hahaa ! Be safe over there I can't imagine that kind of weather .

1 person likes this

Posted

I think it's all going north of me.  Was a nice day today, low 70s.  I went fishing in the canoe I bought.  There is a shallow salt water lagoon about 1/2 mile X 10 miles about 400' north of me.  Some people who have a place on the lagoon let me leave it on their dock, and can use it when I'm not.   Haven't caught much, but it's something to do.  Water has to warm up a bit for the fishing to improve.  JImChuk

Photo0038.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Gotta love being on the water with a boat with no motor . My wife and I have kayaks with pop up sails in case there's any good wind . We go all around Weeki Wachee and love it . Every once in a while I can fish , she's still worried sharks will come if I do .

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been and seen lots of places around the world, and most of the U.S.A. states - Every place has good points and bad points - You just have to decide what suits you best.  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I have had multiple surgeries from flipping bmx bikes for about 20 years  . There's been metal in my body for over 20 years now.None of it was really bad in the nasty cold up north . I had a car accident a couple years ago that got me a helicopter ride I don't remember . I ended up getting  2 big ole plates and about 30 screws all together in my arm . I was at my brothers in the Carolinas a couple weeks ago for that storm and wow I could feel the metal . I'll stick to the the Florida heat I'm not built for the cold.

Posted (edited)

Gotta love being on the water with a boat with no motor . My wife and I have kayaks with pop up sails in case there's any good wind . We go all around Weeki Wachee and love it . Every once in a while I can fish , she's still worried sharks will come if I do .

Actually I do have an anchor.  I bought one yesterday.  Had a piece of concrete block on there before.  The anchor is hanging off the front with the black rope running to the front.  Have a hook in the rope and a hole in the gunnel to keep it up.  Unhook the hook, and the rope plays out till it gets to the end of the rope, and the anchor is deployed.  The end of the rope is tied onto my seat, so it is easy to grab and pull the anchor up.  Worked good today when I tried it.  Latest weather report looks like we may get some storms later this evening.  JImChuk

PS  note to self, read a bit more closely.  right after I hit send, and it posted, I see you said MOTOR .... not anchor.  Actually makes more sense now.   :-0

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Haha that's ok , my anchor is actually a old truck brake disc .

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Come to Mn, you will get used to strong winds and driving rain or snow.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

Seeing that kind of weather makes me glad I only have to worry about a hurricane every now and then . You guys have ground that moves ,big storms , snow the works . Once in a while my area will get a tropical storm or something but most of the time I'm pretty safe . The worst that I get in Florida are the cotton tops hahaa ! Be safe over there I can't imagine that kind of weather .

When I lived in St. Petersburg in the 90's, that kind of weather was a normal event at least once a year.  The relatively quiet hurricane seasons since then have lulled you into a false sense of security.  Just like the lack of a big earthquake in CA has them......  A 1906 event would be very ugly today.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

I know what could happen , I've been here over 30 years and am always prepared . I get a kick out of everyone rushing to the stores to stock up the night before , it makes black Friday look tame . 

Posted

Yes, it is fun to watch the rush in Lake City when the forecast something.  If WE get hurricane force winds here, the rest of the state is toast........

Of course, it isn't as bad as when I lived in Dallas, and they'd forecast ice or snow.  There wasn't a loaf of bread, or a gallon of milk in any store an hour after that forecast!

Mark

Posted (edited)

We have the same rush here around St. Louis before an ice or snow storm coming, but unlike Alaska where studded tires are normal winter gear, probably not 1 in 1 million have studded tires or chains, and they try to drive anyway, although we are allowed them Nov. to March.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO