Required Pilot Certification Level

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good luck finding a DAR who will sign off on that. 

Not sure exactly what you were referring to Larry, but if it's an experimental amateur built aircraft, I don't believe the DAR is the one who will specify whether the airplane meets light sport specs or not.   Come to think about it, if the top speed (VH) was expected to be close to the maximum allowed by light sport rules, one wouldn't know if it met those speed requirements until it was flown to determine what the maximum speed (VH) was.   Example:   If it was just under 138  MPH, without say lift strut fairings in place, it could be knocked out of the light sport envelope by fairing the struts which made the plane faster.   Another related example:   Engine instrument red lines can be put on before the first flight, but airspeed stall markings really should be established by flight testing.   Not trying to be argumentative, just saying how I see it. JImChuk

DAR just signs off "Airworthiness" (is it safe to fly) before the plane is ever flown - He don't designate whether it meets LSA requirements, or any particular design.  Lots of Experimentals don't meet LSA standards, for different reasons.   The Airdale kit makers designated it as 1400 GW which would disqualify it for LSA, but if the builder was smart and only listed it as 1320 GW or less when he flew it in Phase 1, then it was within the LSA category.   Whatever is put in the records counts - just like the 1260 and 1400 GW Ercoupes (same aircraft) one is LSA and the other is not.  So, one can have a 165 mph 4-seat Tailwind, and I can have a 138 mph LSA 2-seat Tailwind with a different engine or prop, or big tires.   The Experimental group is widely varied, as it should be.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My comment was toward getting a DAR to sign off a Tailwind as a Light Sport.  Pretty unlikely.

Ed, it's been a long time since you had any interaction with a DAR?  Sounds like it.  In my recent experience, they go over a lot more than just airworthiness.  Getting a fresh built 1500 gross Cub-Clone, Airdale or even a Magnum to a LS is one thing.  Getting a 200 mph tailwind to LS is not going to pass muster.  About as likely as getting a fixed gear Lancair or Glassair TG to LS.

Posted (edited)

Steve Wittman's Tailwind was only a 165 mph plane - My comments were that with some modifications, more like the Buttercup with different gear, tires, etc., it could be a 138 mph LSA.  I agree that you can only stretch the limits so far.   You could never outrun my DAR's aluminum LS with a Kitfox ...    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here"s one for you ED,

1 person likes this

Posted

At one point in this thread, we were talking about category and class endorsements for sport pilot license holders.  I was looking for something else tonight (for ED :-)  and ran across this page from the FAA listing category and class endorsements.  JImChuk

sport pilot aircraft sets (Large).jpg

1 person likes this