Normal acting altimeter

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I've never seen an altimeter act this way. Mind you my experience is limited to only 4 (3 cessnas and a challenger). 

Thoughts? 

Posted (edited)

Not in any of my planes - R & R, or get it checked by certified instrument people.   IMO - They don't cost that much.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Might not be a bad time to upgrade to the Belite electronic one that Joey bought last week.  This one looks to have gone south.  JImChuk

Posted

I agree with Jim, something isn't working like it should. Probably not worth having it repaired. Last time I have one that wasn't working correctly I had a friend that owns an avionics company take a look. He said it wasn't worth and would be more in parts than to buy a used one from him. Got a really good deal on a used one from him though. He sells exclusively on Ebay. 

I would probably look at one like belite has too. However, I am working with another friend of mine that is almost finished with the development of a brand new electronic airspeed and altimeter too. When it is released I will be the US distributor for the company. They aren't together like belite, will be 2.25" and will cost less than $200 each.We're expecting a release date sometime in the beginning of the year.

1 person likes this

Posted

Darn I guess I was hoping to hear something other than what I was worried about. I guess I'll add a new one to my...list. Seemed weird though, like a gear problem inside. 

Posted

I agree with Jim, something isn't working like it should. Probably not worth having it repaired. Last time I have one that wasn't working correctly I had a friend that owns an avionics company take a look. He said it wasn't worth and would be more in parts than to buy a used one from him. Got a really good deal on a used one from him though. He sells exclusively on Ebay. 

I would probably look at one like belite has too. However, I am working with another friend of mine that is almost finished with the development of a brand new electronic airspeed and altimeter too. When it is released I will be the US distributor for the company. They aren't together like belite, will be 2.25" and will cost less than $200 each.We're expecting a release date sometime in the beginning of the year.

Any idea on weight yet?  I am looking at going electric on my new project and keeping it as light as possible!

:BC:

Posted

Any idea on weight yet?  I am looking at going electric on my new project and keeping it as light as possible!

:BC:

Leni, I am in the middle of  talking to the builder right now. He just finished the prototype and it is functioning really well. He says it weighs 8 oz but that it will be lighter when finished and in production. It has a range from 7 to 500 MPH with an error of only .025 MPH+-. 

He sent me these pictures to share. Keep in mind he literally just finished this prototype today. It is due to be refined and cleaned up quite a bit. But this will allow him to work the bugs out of the system if there are any. Also remember that the box behind the unit is only to house the computer chip and pitot pressure. The chip itself is only about the size of a quarter and the panel is flat. He is also working on it so it can be panel mounted with nothing but the screw holes drilled in the flat panel and it would only stick out less than 1/2". 

Let me know if you have any other questions about it. 

15555349_1787979174787982_1539265859_o.jpg

15556271_1787979178121315_2004442948_o.jpg

15556161_1787979181454648_776480415_o.jpg

1 person likes this