Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying Again!

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Albeit, not in an Avid/'Fox.  I really felt like I was flying when i took the doors off the Avid and although there were a few interesting avid and kitfox planes while I was shopping, nothing seemed to pop up in my corner of the country (Florida).  I found a Super Drifter at Sebring airport this month.  The aircraft was a well known entity with both my flight instructor, Jeff, and Shane, my preferred A&P.  Jeff owns a Drifter and has several thousand hours in them.

I spent the week with Jeff and Shane nearby going over every inch of the plane and engine ensuring correct hardware, proper adjustments, trim etc.  Jeff spent about  6 hours flying time instructing me in both his plane (a 582 Drifter) and mine (100hp 912s).  During this time I earned the tailwheel endorsement. 

Soon I'll install the Lotus 1650's that came with the plane and return to Jeff for seaplane instruction.

I'm not one to use hyperbole very often... Guys, open cockpit flying is spectacular!  That 100hp fan motor provides more grunt that I can use most of the time.  I can only imagine what this will be with floats.   This time of year the air temp is 65-80 while the sun is out.

This plane doesn't have the quick, sporty feel I loved about the Avid.  So when my wallet recovers from this I'll still be searching for something to replace 72MT.

Here is a short 8min video of my solo after finishing up with Jeff.  The flight was about 50 min. of gentle, low -n- slow soul flying during sunset around Sebring airport.  Air temp was 75.  

4 people like this

Posted

Glad you're back up and flying again! Congrats on the new plane. 

Posted

My other,other plane is a drifter.

I believe the experience of being "up front" in a drifter is possibly the ultimate flying experience,thanks for posting,this has given me the push I need to finish the refurbishment.

A 100 hp drifter + floats=awesome 

Posted

awesome to see you in the air again Mr!  I have looked at drifters over and over.. maybe one day I will get one.  They are not the most practicle here but for summer time flying and fishing it would be awesome!

:BC: