44 posts in this topic

Posted

Snapped this pic from at Aerotek 220. Clean set up.

IMG_5285.JPG

Joey, any idea how his trim was set up inside? 

little T lever next to the flaperon handle. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth - pic show my A240, same as the A220.

015_(4).thumb.JPG.d9e0c9b6d8f503d2cf5958

1 person likes this

Posted

Joey - Are those sea shells on the ground on top of a mountain?

Doug - Gotta Love those seats.

EDMO

Posted

Thanks Doug, that makes sense. I take it that the wire loops back and is just a friction deal with the lever? It sure would be easy to make something like that work for sure. Plus with the small wire it needs would be very light. 

I can't tell from the picture but does the wire loop around the pulley on the lever more than one time? I'd guess that would be the best way to keep it from having a runaway trim. 

Posted

Kenneth - pic show my A240, same as the A220.

015_(4).thumb.JPG.d9e0c9b6d8f503d2cf5958

Now those seats look fabulous, Somebody that can do that type of work and wants to do that type of work needs to join this forum

Posted

EDMO...Yes they are...we are on the shoreline of a reservoir that the water level varies a lot.

The Aerotek's are really nice planes.

Posted

EDMO...Yes they are...we are on the shoreline of a reservoir that the water level varies a lot.

The Aerotek's are really nice planes.

Oh, I was thinking that you were on top of one of the high mountains you land on - Wondering about Noah's flood... :<) 

Factory Airplane$ are usually nicer than our barnyard-built birds!  :BC:  EDMO

Posted (edited)

+3 on the seats. Very nice. They look comfortable!

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

I can't tell from the picture but does the wire loop around the pulley on the lever more than one time? I'd guess that would be the best way to keep it from having a runaway trim. 

You got it!

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

I like it! Simple, not much of anything to go wrong or break and very lightweight. 

Posted

Is there anything on the A220/A240 that isn't very well done?they have taken a great basic design and made it better.

Posted

Is there anything on the A220/A240 that isn't very well done?they have taken a great basic design and made it better.

The Price?  ???  EDMO

Posted (edited)

They advertise in the back of Sport Aviation, with prices.  http://www.aerotrek.aero

A little less than a Kitfox S-LSA.

A little more than what you would have to spend to build a Kitfox SS.

About half what it costs to build a highlander. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Ed - the KF SLSA is about 10%, or $7-8k more, for comparably equipped 'base' models. Personally, I think the Aerotrek is a heck of nice SLSA, extremely well thought out with impeccable fit and finish, the best for the price. Cabin is very comfortable with bowed bubble doors, and over an inch wider than the KF7. However, I also think I would pony up for the KF7 if I was not limited by Sport Pilot regs and had the funds. Compare M.T.O.W. 1235lbs. vs. 1550lbs., useful load 580lbs. vs. 800lbs., luggage compartment capacity 150lbs. vs. 50lbs. [edit: actually wrote that backwards, should be 50lbs. (Aerotrek) vs. 150lbs. (KF).] Empty weight 655lbs. vs. 750lbs. Unfortunately, the KF7 SLSA at 1320lbs. for SP has less useful load than the Aerotrek.

And then, BACK ON TOPIC, there's that old fashioned manual elevator trim vs. electric stabilator. :o

Edited by dholly
fix #'s

Posted (edited)

Ed - the KF SLSA is about 10%, or $7-8k more, for comparably equipped 'base' models. Personally, I think the Aerotrek is a heck of nice SLSA, extremely well thought out with impeccable fit and finish, the best for the price. Cabin is very comfortable with bowed bubble doors, and over an inch wider than the KF7. However, I also think I would pony up for the KF7 if I was not limited by Sport Pilot regs and had the funds. Compare M.T.O.W. 1235lbs. vs. 1550lbs., useful load 580lbs. vs. 800lbs., luggage compartment capacity 150lbs. vs. 50lbs. Empty weight 655lbs. vs. 750lbs. Unfortunately, the KF7 SLSA at 1320lbs. for SP has less useful load than the Aerotrek.

And then, BACK ON TOPIC, there's that old fashioned manual elevator trim vs. electric stabilator. :o

Thanks for the specs Doug.  Back on topic:  Long ago I bought the electric stabilizer motor that was used on the Kitfox 5 - Not the brand that broke the mount and caused a wreck - I forgot that I had it when I got my solid HS fittings welded in, so it is still sitting on the shelf if anyone wants one.  I guess they worked good, except the brand that broke.  I think I still have the KF5 plans for it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Compared to Rans, Vans, Highlander, and all the composites 100K + crowd the Aerotreks are a sweet deal! 

Posted

Edmo I've been thinking of going electric trim on my mk4 . Will the motor you have do the job ? If so what are you asking for it ?

Posted (edited)

Edmo I've been thinking of going electric trim on my mk4 . Will the motor you have do the job ? If so what are you asking for it ?

You would have to do some serious welding to modify your fuselage and horizontal stabilizer to use the model 5 stabilizer motor, but it could be done.  I think I have the model 5 drawings.  I believe I gave $300+ way back when I bought it and would take same.  Spruce has similiar that were about $700 to $800 last time I checked.   I haven't checked Kitfox prices for it.  I am attaching a drawing of the model 5 stabilizer trim setup.

I have a small extra electric elevator trim server too, but would have to check model to see if it has enough power for a trim tab.  I don't remember the cost, but it is a lot less than the model 5 motor.   Let me know if you want either and I will check on the trim tab motor.    You can buy them from Spruce too.  EDMO

Scan0364.jpg

Scan0364.jpg

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

The welding isn't a big deal I do the welding at Silverlight aviation where I work .I think aircraft spruce has a trim system that is for rans . It looks to be a servo that connects to the trim tab . Might give that a try when I go to recover and paint my plane .  .Right now I'm having to much fun flying . Finally got the gas struts for my doors in and the prop pitch sorted out . Most likely after Christmas I'll start on it again . 

Edited by chopndrag